GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is the '07 worth buying over the '06?

viperx100

Drag Racing Champion
From what I have read,

the US '07 GTI will have the launch control and it'll be about an inch lower, BUT they will use cheaper plastics inside the cabin (goodbye quality that we all love so much, hello wrx cabin)

I don't know what to do. I like the launch control feature and the lower stance, but I don't want to lose the soft plastics. I can't have a car like my old saturn inside( or any average US-made car)

What do you think?

Fonderson

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
08 Lexus ISF
If you get the current 07's you'll be alright, the 07 with LC and the drop comes after week 50.

viperx100

Drag Racing Champion
Because if we lose the quality, might as well get the WRX which is faster. The whole point of the GTI was the nice quality build and nice interior, not just a box on wheels with a big engine.

bonzgti

Cause you don't know
i just got the 06 bare bones version.. im going to change the suspension and wheels anyways so why spend more money on things that you don't need. also, i know how to launch my car, so i'm my own launch control. i bought the car more for spirited daily driving and auto-x. i'm a turn junkie and don't need all that extra crap.

gti5dr06

Autocross Newbie
Because if we lose the quality, might as well get the WRX which is faster. The whole point of the GTI was the nice quality build and nice interior, not just a box on wheels with a big engine.

if I am right in assuming your prelude is a manual then assuming you're not getting the dsg launch control doesn't affect you...now while I do not own a gti i have test driven the 06 2dr and an 07 4dr pk2 and other than the radio buttons being silver painted..there is really no loss in interior quality..you really have to be nitpicking to find the changes..now assuming you don't want 4dr's you may still be able to find an 06 pk2 6MT for a bit cheaper than the 07's..if not there are some used ones floating around for even less than that

Last edited:

dpham00

Modérateur Emeritus
If you get the current 07's you'll be alright, the 07 with LC and the drop comes after week 50.

ditto. early 07's still have the soft touch. with that said, i'd rather not have it since it starts to peel away after a while.

viperx100

Drag Racing Champion
Actually, I am in a wheelchair, so I can't drive stick. I would get the DSG (it being faster only makes me more happy). And my dealership tried to screw me on the trade-in (was to be expected) and offered me $4500 for a 2000 prelude with 51K miles on it. They are going for 9000+ on cars.com with higher mileage, so now I have to wait either way. Thanks for the replies, though.

trick000

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Nope not worth it for me. How often are you really gonna use launch control? It's also bad for your tranny. The drop can be fixed easily/cheaply too.

untchablecs

Ready to race!
I just recently picked up my 07' gti and have no complaints. I'm not quite sure what your talking about when you say "cheeper plastics?", as the interior of my car is awesome and I don't see any changes other than silver radio buttons from the interior of the 06's. Either way you'll love the car. I'm putting H&R sports on next weekend along with RS4 reps and getting windows tinted.......I'll post pics once that is all done.

dpham00

Modérateur Emeritus
Nope not worth it for me. How often are you really gonna use launch control? It's also bad for your tranny. The drop can be fixed easily/cheaply too.

well, thing is, i'd rather get the 07 because of the higher resale, tpms, and aux ports. later 07's are supposed to have lc and lowered right height. yes, you can add springs later, but it's way cheaper when it comes with the car. of coruse, it also depends on the deal that you get. i got my 07 for $250 over invoice in July. To make it worth it for me to get the '06, i'd have to get it substantially cheaper, which, back in July and in socal is not very likely, without some very good connections.

dpham00

Modérateur Emeritus
I just recently picked up my 07' gti and have no complaints. I'm not quite sure what your talking about when you say "cheeper plastics?", as the interior of my car is awesome and I don't see any changes other than silver radio buttons from the interior of the 06's. Either way you'll love the car. I'm putting H&R sports on next weekend along with RS4 reps and getting windows tinted.......I'll post pics once that is all done.

early 07's do not have the softtouch plastics deleted.

nitroburn

"later 07's are supposed to have lc "

Hmm, I've asked dealers and they all say NO! It has little to no legal purpose and won't be included. :cry:

Maybe thats just in Canada tho.