GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bushfire Region Drive Day - Sunday 19th April

Tensixty6

Old & Senile
Sorry for the short notice girls and boys, but, there will be a drive day this Sunday, through some of the areas devastated in the Black Saturday bushfire.

Businesses in the region that survived the fire are doing it tough ATM. The purpose of the drive is to stop off at a couple of places and spend a few dollars to support the local tourism industry.

The proposal is to meet up at the usual Albert Park meeting point from 9.00am with a departure no later than 9.45am.

We will cruise up to Lancefield and stop for coffee and maybe a few photos. After Lancefield, we head on through Broadford, Kilmore, Strath Creek and on the the Flowerdale Hotel for lunch.

I would prefer to be in a position to book a table at the Flowerdale Hotel but that would require a firm commitment from interested participants.

After Flowerdale we travel through Kinglake West, Kinglake, Toolangi and on to Healesville. After Healesville, we head down to Gembrook and finish at Wellington Road near Eastlink.

I appreciate that this is very short notice, but, l guess you're either free this Sunday or you're not.

Last edited:

Big Yellow

I'm Big and i'm Yellow!
Car(s)
MY09 VW Golf R32 DSG
woah, looks like quite an epic drive!!!

will have to try keep sunday open!!

estimated time and kilometers for this trip Chris??

Tensixty6

Old & Senile
woah, looks like quite an epic drive!!!

will have to try keep sunday open!!

estimated time and kilometers for this trip Chris??

Not all that epic Terence. 291 k's, according to Google maps. Just over 5 hours driving time, again according to Google maps. A bit pessimistic IMHO.

Last edited:

vesssh

Ready to race!
wheres the usual Albert Park meet point? also is this just this just us, or are other clubs going to be there?

Tensixty6

Old & Senile
wheres the usual Albert Park meet point? also is this just this just us, or are other clubs going to be there?

Sorry. I shouldn't assume that everyone knows where the starting point is. :smile:

There are no other clubs involved. :thumbsup:

tooraktrash

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 Golf GTI
Chris, i'm in... see you guys Sunday

Damian

OMFG!!! I actually saw a post from Damian! :lol:

I'll put myself down as tentative for the day, not sure what my plans are, but sounds like a good drive.

GP_GTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
Just remember, l've got a restraining order out on you pal. No closer than 200 metres, particularly on the twisty bits. You know l drive like an old woman. :lol:

Haha, but an old woman with a new rack (and a new battery), so all should be good :biggrin:

samps

Car(s)
'06 GTI
G'day guys. I'm keen to join a Melbourne cruise one of these days, but a word of warning (and I hope I'm wrong). I've driven this route twice since the fires, last time on Monday afternoon just gone and with the easter holidays it took us 1.5 hrs to drive the last few kms into Yarra Glen from Yea direction. I know you're planning to drive perpendicular to the Melba Hwy but a lot of families will be returning to Melbourne from all over the place up there.

But like I said, I hope I'm wrong and it's a fun day out! I can't make it because I'm working on my 'other' car all day Saturday and the idea of spending Sunday doing GTI things wouldn't go down too well on the home front! Hopefully next time.

Paul

Tensixty6

Old & Senile
Thanks for the advice Paul, but, l did a pre-run last Sunday, and, with the exception of Kinglake, the level of traffic was generally lower than l'd anticipated.

The township of Kinglake was an absolute "circus". Cars parked everywhere, zillions of tourists, it was crazy. I was appalled at the sight of people taking "happy snaps" in front of the ruins of burnt-out homes, where, in all probability, people make have died. Talk about insensitive. :thumbdown:

Anyway, sorry you can't make it. Maybe next time.

mkIIIII

Looks like a great drive Chris, I really should be working tomorrow but due to a lack of enthusiasm I think I'll try to join you guys instead.

Guess I should probably go and give it a bit of wash now then, see you tomorrow.

Paul