Votes: 5 33.3%
  • No, that is a stupid idea

Votes: 10 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

(510)WickedHARE

Car(s)
2007 Volkswagen GTI
Greetings MKV Brethren, as my title suggests I'm a newbie here at the MKV community. I'm a freshmen in college down in Southern California and I just took delivery of my first car, The wonderful GTI. Its great to know how many like minded enthusiasts there are out there, and I will enjoy contributing to this wonderful Dubber culture in years to come. So as not to make this Inroduction thread worthless here is my question.

#1 Would it be feasible to finish an entire car in that cool matte black primer color you see on cars about to be painted? IMHO a matte finish looks badass on a sleeper style performance car i.e., it might work on a GTI

#2 If this type of finish could be achieved, would it be as durable as say an oem gloss finish or would it, discolor, chip and or lead to body damage, rain intrusion? Also could I get it in Grey, Gotta rep my UG homies.

#3 Does anyone else have any cool Painting suggestions for the GTI. I really want to start upgrading and I feel like the most impactful cosmetic change would be Rims And paint

(510)WickedHARE

Car(s)
2007 Volkswagen GTI
Haha I know dude, I always propose the matte idea to my friends and they just roll their eyes at me. But I reason if it were done properly, a matte finish, maybe not primer, but one that doesn't reflect so much light, might be kinda cool. Wuteva though people are entitled to hate.

I'm attending Occidental college in Eagle Rock. I officially live in the Bay Area. But I was born down here and my folks still have a condo in Santa Monica. Its good to meet a local, where are you based?

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
The matte look is becoming really popular in certain Euro circles on the continent now. I saw a mk3 Golf in matte black recently and it was amazing... I'm not sure about a matte black for the mk5, but I think a nice flat dark blue would look fantastic.
I think you should go for it, personally - it'll be expensive but if it's done right should look pretty damn nice.

(510)WickedHARE

Car(s)
2007 Volkswagen GTI
Thanks cmdr Thats all I'm saying, a matte finish is using the simple beauty of the understated. In my book the less bling the better which seems to be what the GTI is all about, as well as a more european perspective. I've seen some of those older flat MK's your talking about, it would kind of be like a throwback to put it on MkV, but just as you say maybe with a bit more color. Most body mods if approached with tasteful execution, and of course a generous bag full of money should come out well. When I say primer, I think alot of people might think I mean the hillbilly philosophy of "Well I was gunna paint it like the General E. Lee but I dun ran clear out'r orange paint and confederate flags. I think I'll just leave her a dirty scratched up black primer color". No if theres a process that can simulate textured low reflective surfaces with the durability of a clearcoat.:bow:

Last edited: