GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Push Button Starter

mKvDuBBy

SoFa KiNg FaSt
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Doesn't the Passat use a system like that now?

Yeh with the passat that is all you have to do. I wish we can do that with the GTI.

TopGearNJ

Ready to race!
Ricey, it wouldnt be if u didnt have to put the key in the ignition, but sinc eu have to its wayyy too rice aftermarket for me. my .02

turbodsg

Ready to race!
the new bimmers have the start engine buttons that requires u to put the key in too....

Jibbly

Level 50 Ninja Pirate
If the car won't start by turning the key, it can be considered a safety feature. Same thing as if you had a hidden killswitch that had to be flicked in order to turn the car on. However, a bright yellow 'press to start' button in the middle of the car might be a dead giveaway...

agpatel

Touring Car Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI MkV
the passat and bmw and other cars w/ push button start normally have just a key fob like key that you just push in and then hit the start button or lk mb has the smart key, i dont see the use with a normal key that you have to put in and turn to the 1st click anyways

TopGearNJ

Ready to race!
YOu guys completely misunderstood me, im talking about a "smart Key" system like nissan and Mercedes and other good car brands have, (i know nissan isnt considered "good" compared to Merc and BMW and VW, but still just read) They key has a chip inside that interacts with the car automatticaly unlocking and locking doors when u step to and from the car. The key just needs to be inside the car for the button to work (new nissan ALTIMA check it out). ITs not that u need to put hte key in the ignission its cooler then that...still ricey

out.

Jibbly

Level 50 Ninja Pirate
YOu guys completely misunderstood me, im talking about a "smart Key" system like nissan and Mercedes and other good car brands have, (i know nissan isnt considered "good" compared to Merc and BMW and VW, but still just read) They key has a chip inside that interacts with the car automatticaly unlocking and locking doors when u step to and from the car. The key just needs to be inside the car for the button to work (new nissan ALTIMA check it out). ITs not that u need to put hte key in the ignission its cooler then that...still ricey

out.

There aren't any German car brands that I know of with 'smart key.' However, I haven't been in a Passat, I know for a fact that both Bimmers and Benzs both require a 'key' to be put into a slot, and then a push button to be depressed. Toyota and Honda and Nissan all have 'smart key' where the key emits a signal to the car so that when you go near it, the door opens and you can get in. It also allows you to start the car without a key by depressing the brake and pressing the 'start button.'

So, by your logic, Mercedes and BMW use a 'ricey' method of starting their cars?

AutoXinMK5

Touring Car Champion
With the nissan intellegent key system you can leave the key in your pocket and hit the start button. Unless one of the fobs that is programmed to the car is within a few inches of the steering column, the car won't start.

THe cars have a complex "body control system" but essentially the body control modue that controls the keyless entry watches for the I-key signal and unlocks the door. Our fobs are only active when we hit the button unlike the Nissan I-key where the BCM is on an active search all the time.

There's no aftermarket set ups yet.

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
I used to have a "START" button on my Renault Megane and it's really the only thing I miss about it.
I like having an actual key to turn as well though...
Wouldn't want one of those big red/yellow butttons. Hmn... maybe something could be wired up to one of those spare buttons...

irebound

Digital Driver
Car(s)
06 BMP GTI
I used to have a "START" button on my Renault Megane and it's really the only thing I miss about it.
I like having an actual key to turn as well though...
Wouldn't want one of those big red/yellow butttons. Hmn... maybe something could be wired up to one of those spare buttons...

that's what i was thinking too. i'd buy one.