GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I need DSLR help

305GTI

Ready to race!
I know many of you are very knowledgeable with cameras so hopefully someone can help me out. I have a Sony A200 with the 18-70 lens that came with it. I was just at the mall and picked up a "Digital Concepts" 0.43x wide angle lens w/ macro. The wide angle lens is a 58mm thread and my camera lens is a 55mm lens, so they also gave me a "stepping ring" 55mm-58mm. Problem is the 58mm side doesn't screw in to the wide angle because they are both exactly 58mm! So what do I do now, do I need a stepping ring that is 55mm-59mm? I am a real n00b when it comes to this stuff so all info is appreciated.

Also does anyone have any experience with Digital Concepts? The price tag on the box says $441.99, but they sold it to me for $90 with a free stepping ring...is this brand that bad?

SoNgMaN

I Void Warranties
Car(s)
2010 4dr UG TDI HL
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

:banghead:

I'd have to see a pic to offer any help. usually with the SLR stuff you'll net better results with a proper wide angle lens ;)

mdonders

ballin'
Car(s)
2008 2-Door Rabbit-S
The diameter of the thread size should have no effect on how the lens mounts to your camera. If the lens is designed for a Sony Alpha 200 then the lens will mount onto your camera like any other lens.

From what I have seen they don't make one of these for a Sony Alpha and only make it for the Canon low-end dSLR's. Why don't you just buy a REAL wide-angle lens FROM sony?

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Sony_DT_11-18mm/

notkool59

Go Kart Champion
If the thread on your lens and the tread with adapter on the wide angle is 58mm they should fit, sometimes it takes a while to get things to screw together because the threads are so small, did you try a bunch of times?

305GTI

Ready to race!
Thanks guys! For now I plan on just keeping this one (if it works) until I get get familiar with photography, then I will upgrade to much higher quality lenses like a actual Sony one. Now after looking at everything in the daylight I think I might have figured out my problem.

The packaging on the stepping ring says 55mm-58mm, BUT the actual stepping ring says 55mm-series 7. I just noticed this, and when I google series 7 it does not come up with 58mm. So I am guessing "series 7" is a size on its own. Does this sound right?

305GTI

Ready to race!

SoNgMaN

I Void Warranties
Car(s)
2010 4dr UG TDI HL
i agree with Dan but i'm willing to help if you post pics. sounds like the adaptor ring is the wrong size.

305GTI

Ready to race!
So I just got in contact with the store , turns out the step up ring was in the wrong package. Anyway I will go pick up the correct one when I can. Thanks again for everyone's help.

Oh btw what brand lenses/accessories are you guys using...so I can look out for them on my next purchase?

z4k

Passed Driver's Ed
I agree return that thing, it is going to restrict your photos. Those are good for P&S cams with no lens changeability. It all seriousness why do you need a "Fisheye" to get the look? Just buy or rent a real "Fisheye" Lens. That look is only good in few cases.