GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New To Photography!

Shood87

Ready to race!
As the title says new to photography and i was wondering if you guys had some tips to starting off. Now i have had cameras in the past they were only point and shot cameras. I was in the market for a digital LSR this time. I was hoping you guys could help with some guidence.

-What type of camera should istart out with?
(i was looking at a Nikon or a Canon)

-What types of things should i be looking for in a camera

Thanks.

p.s. I am not looking to be a professional. This would just be a hobbie.

FaLLeNAn9eL

JESUS HATES FLAT TIRE
You can't go wrong with either Canon or Nikon.

IMO, I think it's best if you went out to a local camera shop and tried them out. You should go with the one that feels most comfortable in your hands.

Shood87

Ready to race!
Sweet i will probably do that then. I have a buddy that works at a camera shop. Ill have him help me out. Thanks.

HoldDaMayo

Leaner and Meaner
Car(s)
2007 GTI UG 5 Door
APR sucks... go GIAC!!

oh... sorry, wrong thread... :lol:

I'm brand new into digital photography and grabbed a Canon XTi very gently used and some lenses for a pretty low price.

300 - gently used body
85 - Brand New 50mm F/1.8 Prime
120 - Brand New EF-S 18-55mm IS
30 - Brand New 4GB CF card Sandisk Extreme III

I can already tell this camera has everything I need to become a knowledgable amatuer photographer.

I don't ever just buy stuff, I do tons of research and I really liked the Nikon cameras too. I was VERY VERY close to just saving my money and dropping 1000 on a D90.

However, this being my first camera, I knew I didn't need to start out with something that nice. $530 roughly for what I got is a pretty solid starter setup with 2 lenses... where 1000 for a D90 gets you way more camera, but at a pretty large price increase.

I honestly believe you will be very happy with either Nikon or Canon brands.

There's a Nikon D40x refurbished at www.Adorama.com for 299.95. You could grab that, a lens, bag, and a memory card for around 500 probably and have full warranty.

Another nice digital that doesn't hit the bank too hard is the Canon XSi... you can find it for a little more than the XTi and it's got more megapixels and liveview, which is nice, you can use the LCD screen to look at while taking pictures, instead of only being able to use it for reviewing pictures you've already taken and navigating menus.

Nikon makes a whole slew of nice cameras, from what I've read, Nikon makes a bit more solid bodies and canon might have a bit better lenses.

But I think since Andre Agassi used to do the old Canon Rebel commercials with cut off jean shorts and Jon Bon Jovi hair style, you should definitely grab a Canon... :biggrin:

Shood87

Ready to race!
thank you for the input. I ended up going out and getting myself the Nikon D40. I talked to my friend who works at a camera store and majors in photography and he said that this is a good camera to start out with. I started snapping some pics already and im trying to discover it a little more. i will post up pics as i go along. Thanks again.