GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bump stops 000 071 501??

KevinFastMkV

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK5 GTI
i saw dis from the new GTi accessories catalog that in order to get stock 18" for MK5 thats not equipped w/ 18" as standard equipment, it "must be used in conjunction w. bump stops 000 071 501.":iono:
wut difference does it make, n do i have to do it for aftermarket wheels as well??

VWDADDY

Certified Monkey Wrench
I herd that to , I can try to find out Monday. I ve only taken a few strut assy's. apart and all were 18" wheel cars to put springs on. I have an appointment Monday to install springs on a GLI with 17" Ill look at those also. Ill post up later.

vDubr

myfastismycopilot
Car(s)
2008 Audi TT
I need to get that checked out! My dealer took 18s off another GTI and put it on mine which had 17s on as standard equipment.

KevinFastMkV

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK5 GTI
my dealer wouldnt let me do that man!!i was thinkin abot gettin the 18s from another GTi that is in the shop cuz i thought the Euro edition 17s is standard in US as well when i ordered my car before all the commercial came out. i really like the standard 18s cuz they have the Lamborgini wheel look even thought they r pretty heavy.

VWDADDY

Certified Monkey Wrench
I checked on that part# That is for a drivers gear accesory . For people who want to carry large loads with 18" wheels. I think its called a suspention stiffener or somthing like that. Its late , im tired.(Ill try to copy it tomorrow and post it up.) But , I triple checked all the GTI suspentions P#'s 17" & 18" and all where the same. (By vin#'s anyway)

Peace out .

herrstreet

Touring Car Newbie
My guess is that because the 18 inch wheel and tire are marginally taller, there is the danger of the wheel hitting the top of the wheel well at the end of suspension travel. I would imagine the stops keep the wheel from moving that last half inch or so.

bilbos

On the Kop
I wanted to put some 18" on a car that was factory fitted with 17". I asked the dealer if he could do it and he said he could but it would be expensive as the suspension settings have to be changed to take into account the larger wheels. Ended up buying a car that was pre-fitted with the 18".

azmcs

FIA World Rally Car Champion
bilbos said:
I wanted to put some 18" on a car that was factory fitted with 17". I asked the dealer if he could do it and he said he could but it would be expensive as the suspension settings have to be changed to take into account the larger wheels. Ended up buying a car that was pre-fitted with the 18".

Dealer BS. The whole theory of bumstops is to protect the stock dampers from completely bottoming out. If you are running stock ride height and an acceptable profile tire, given the larger diameter rim, you should have no issues unless you drive like an a$$hole through very rough roads.

For regular usage, in reality, you can run without bumpstops without trouble. This is a case of a dealer wanting extra $$ to do the work and VWoA doing a CYA in regards to warranty issues.

bilbos

On the Kop
To be honest, I was suprised aswell. I thought it was just a case of changing the wheels over. Anyway, I ended up with what I wanted, it just cost a bit more...:redface:

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
I wanted a car with the Huffys but they didnt have one! I wanted the promo 3.9% more! :mad:

Any idea on price for the bumpstops?

cmcm

Drag Racing Champion
just went to dealer to do the wheel alignment, and asked about the bumpstops-----they said its useless for my car coz mine has been lowered (H&R cup kit), I don't need bumpstops even if I replace 18" wheels in the future, gimme comments, thanks all.

VWDADDY

Certified Monkey Wrench
I dont think anyone is reading my post.....there are no issues with bump stops , no issues with switching 17 to 18 . On stock veh. How ever when lowering all suspentions , modifying bump stops are normal...The reason the dealer cant switch wheels between cars is that it is listed on the MSRP and cant be removed. If the wheels were to be removed it costs the dealer more money to replace. The 18 wheel option is 750.00 ordered with the car , 1300.00 by themselves.(est.$$ based on local dealers).
Trying to Help...stop the Panic.

VWDADDY

Certified Monkey Wrench
The suspention stiffeners are for people with 18" wheels who are traveling fully loaded with passengers and cargo or heavy loads. How often does that happen? If there was a problem , VW wouldnt use the 18" wheels. Option only availible in the upcoming drivers gear...

Peace out...ya'll

GTT

Touring Car Champion
VWDADDY said:
I dont think anyone is reading my post.....there are no issues with bump stops , no issues with switching 17 to 18 . On stock veh. How ever when lowering all suspentions , modifying bump stops are normal...The reason the dealer cant switch wheels between cars is that it is listed on the MSRP and cant be removed. If the wheels were to be removed it costs the dealer more money to replace. The 18 wheel option is 750.00 ordered with the car , 1300.00 by themselves.(est.$$ based on local dealers).
Trying to Help...stop the Panic.

Wow, can that red lettering suck more? :smile:
Please turn it off.

T