GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Going to detail my new GTI, a few questions

dieseldub

Passed Driver's Ed
i did some searches and read a lot last night, so here is what i'm doing over tonight and saturday morning. First question, can i apply the scratch remover/polish/wax all on the same pad, or should i get 3 pads? And second question is since the new GTI's front grill is plastic, it has a lot of swirls, should i treat it like paint and do the same processes on it?

1. wash
2. clay bar with detail spray
3. wash and dry
4. with Random Orbital do the layer of Meguiars scratch X then wipe off
5. polish with Random orbital, wipe off
6. meguiars NXT with Random Orbital, wipe off, and
7. Smile?

what kind of motion should i use on the buffer? go up and down or just spread it all around? thanks

sk8chip98

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKV
i wouldnt use an orbital i have heard night mares of them swirling up the car man .......... and its friday the 13th :) who know s what mite happen!!

sadd3j

Vwoooooooooooooom
Do you really need the Scratch-X? I'd only use it if I already had those fine scratches.. if you're car is new enough, you can probably skip the polish, or use something less abrasive.. but Scratch-X can tackle some pretty hefty problems.

I would be surprised if you needed that degree of abrasiveness so early unless you were dealing with scratches/etching. On the other hand I don't think it'll really hurt, but could save you a bit of trouble.

I gotta get my car done up too. I'm hoping there'll be a brief warm period.. already 4 degrees :frown:

mKvDuBBy

SoFa KiNg FaSt
Car(s)
MKV GTI
good luck. . .

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Random Orbital will NOT harm paint! High speed buffers like the Milwaukee or Makita (POS) will burn paint. Always use separate cloths/sponges for different purposes/chemicals.
How did you get swirls in the plastic?

Milwaukee #5540 is great for the professional only!

TopGearNJ

Ready to race!
Just do it by hand, sure it takes longer but it will be better then burning off paint ^^...or do it with your hands, like your actuall hands i heard thats good from that guy who charges 10k a car wash...

latenite

Conan O'Brien
scratch X is really intended for hand use, i wouldnt use it with a RO. try something like megs DC#1, if that doesnt work to get rid of swirls try another fine polisher, even though a RO isnt very strong, with scratch X u can cut through your clear coat

azmcs

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Random Orbital will NOT harm paint! High speed buffers like the Milwaukee or Makita (POS) will burn paint.

I have seen damage done with a RO. Older paint and problems with oxidation make it more likely.

To the OP, always move front to back, never circular motion. Set it on 5-6 for speed. I find using a spray bottle with some distilled watter in it can help. You need the polish to stay moist for a minute or so to let it cut the paint correctly.

I would also recommend doing a test area to see just how aggressive you need to go. I would NEVER use Scratch-X on a RO or on the whole car for that matter. It is for spot work, by hand. In general with whatever system of polish you are using you need to work from the finest polish/lightest cut to more aggresive, only going as far as you need to remove the damage to the paint. This is why I recommend a test patch. You can then know just how far to go without polishing the whole car, only to learn you need to go heavier cut to get your swirls/scratches out. Scratch-X is just a step below the professional 3M cutting compounds as far as degree of cut so you are skiping over all true polishes to use this. You will then need to "back out" to the lightest polish from there.

Here is a cut section out of my long detail word doc for you about scratch removal:

Process of Scratch Removal (shallow – not through the clear or color coat)

The key to safe scratch removal is working with the least abrasive compound that is necessary to solve the problem. Whatever product you use, you want to work it on the surface for a brief bit, buff off the product, examine and repeat as necessary. If 3 or 4 rounds of this doesn’t solve the problem, it is time to move to a more aggressive product. Once you get the problem solved (or minimized to your satisfaction), you move backwards through the progression of products you just used… using less and less abrasive products to buff out the scratches caused by the last one.

Again, a full write-up of scratch removal could very easily morph into a huge document. Do your research and work slowly and carefully.

Here are my products (in Abrasive order):

Least Abrasive
• Paintwork Cleanser (Sonus makes a good one)
• 3M Swirl mark Remover/Sonus SFX-3
• 3M Finesse It II/Sonus SFX-2
Sonus SFX-1
• Scratch-X (Meguiars)
• Fine-Cut Rubbing Compound
• Medium Rubbing Compound
• Rubbing Compound (I leave this one to the professionals and won’t let myself buy any because I’d probably do some damage)
Most Abrasive

Hope that helps.

sk8chip98

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKV
ok i did my car this past weekend to get it ready for the winter....i washed it twice, dried it then did a coat of Nu finish on it then followed with MG next gen wax 2 coats, buffed the whole car with a fleece towel and it came out sweet.....oh i did all this because someone thought it would be a bitching idea to through out a can of white paint onto the road and at 630 in the morning before my cup of coffe I drove through it (white paint+black car= :( but i got it all off :)

speedyd

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI 07
ok i did my car this past weekend to get it ready for the winter....i washed it twice, dried it then did a coat of Nu finish on it then followed with MG next gen wax 2 coats, buffed the whole car with a fleece towel and it came out sweet.....oh i did all this because someone thought it would be a bitching idea to through out a can of white paint onto the road and at 630 in the morning before my cup of coffe I drove through it (white paint+black car= :( but i got it all off :)

man if i was u i'd hunt the guy down loool