GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

annoying sound when steering

naim amiouni

Passed Driver's Ed
everytime i steer i hear a sound (a crack sound)only when its a very hard turn.i dont know what it might be but im gonna take the problem to my dealer.just wondering has anyone had this problem other than myself

alf

Modwhoreator
Car(s)
2006 TR GTI
last time i had that problem it was my lower control arm on my drivers side. i took a 17 to it and called it a day.

Dub_52

Ready to race!
annoying sound when steering ??

Yeah,...my EX girl friend,..(EX being the key word here)

hehehe,..*wink*

Dub_52

mKvDuBBy

SoFa KiNg FaSt
Car(s)
MKV GTI
let the dealership check it out. . .

grdriver

Greek Driver
Car(s)
GOLF GTI MKV
Just took mine in for the same thing

Just took mine in for the same thing, when i would make a full turn like a U-turn i would hear a noise that sounded like it was coming from under the gearbox, then when i would make the opposite turn on the wheel i would hear it again. I will find out later on today on what the issue and fix involves

davesee

FIA GT Champion
I'm interested in finding out what you guys are told from the dealer. I took mine in over a month ago for a similar noise.. they told me they couldn't duplicate the noise while they were test driving it (which is quite possible, because it doesn't do it all the time) and they didn't see anything wrong while inspecting.

Come to think of it, I haven't heard the noise in quite some time

grdriver

Greek Driver
Car(s)
GOLF GTI MKV
Ok i just talked to the service peoples, they are telling me that some bearing needs replacing, i dont have all the details cause the service manager wasnt really answering my question but what i got from him is that the bearing needs replacing, i will post more info as soon as i get my receipt and what they did exacly

Delboy

Oval Newbie
If you refering to the steering groan when turning at slow parking speeds, it's a know problem over here in the UK, dealers are changing steering racks under warranty, not always fixing the problem though.

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
There was a recall about this about six months ago. It will not affect the car if left undone, and the work should be done under warranty.
Nothing to worry about, take it to the dealership, let them know, the work took about 4.5 hours as I recall.

grdriver

Greek Driver
Car(s)
GOLF GTI MKV
they kept my car overnight, and i got stuck with a PT Cruiser, what a piece of junk i want my GTI back, they said they gonna do an allignment also

grdriver

Greek Driver
Car(s)
GOLF GTI MKV
So they kept my car overnight, and tightend and fixed the bearings , but guess what , i took an nice hard turn and there was the sound again "crack" should i take it back? anyone else got theirs fixed maybe that way i can tell them what the issue is

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
So they kept my car overnight, and tightend and fixed the bearings , but guess what , i took an nice hard turn and there was the sound again "crack" should i take it back? anyone else got theirs fixed maybe that way i can tell them what the issue is

It's not a bearing issue, they actually need to replace a part - steering rack IIRC.