GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

06 GTI - Quality Engine Oil?

togaf

Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts
06 GTI engine oil needs topping up. Dealers are providing conflicting recommendations on recommended motor oil eg. castrol semi-synthetic 5W-40, Mobile SuperS 10W-40 (also a semi-synthetic) both of which I'm unable to find at major retailers (super cheap, repco etc). I also understand the forum, some of these don't meet specified manufacturer standards.
Intend to replace oil at specified intervals - 15K, 30K etc. Options I've seen mentioned are Castrol Edge 5w-30, Mobil 1 0W-40.

Happy to pay for a quality oil and understand a fully synthetic oil is the way to go. Recommendations???

Sam.

bw_gti

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey Sam,

I'm using Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40. It's fully synthetic and it meets the VW standards. I bought mine a K-Mart but you should be able to find it in most auto shops.

I just checked the Shell website and they recommend it in the current model GTI :smile:

There are other brands you can use though - if you can find them!!

Ben.

togaf

Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts
Decided to go with Castrol Edge 5W-30 - readily available, meets VW specs as specified in the manuals and seems to have good reports. Castrol tech line indicated it to be have grade characteristics close to 5W-40 even though it's a 5W-30.

Sam.

Hong Chau

Banned
you guys buy your engine oil???
my dealer gives it to me FREE!!!
all i do is bring an empty container and he hooks me up.
simple