GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tyre repair

Tensixty6

Old & Senile
Has anyone had to need to have a tyre repaired on their GTI?

I've got a nail in my drivers side rear tyre. I can't be sure how deep it is imbedded cos l'm not keen to try extracting it. The tyre is not losing any pressure (a couple of lbs in 6 weeks).

The thing is.....l'm loathe to get it fixed because l've yet to come across a tyre retailer who doesn't damage the rim when removing a tyre for repair or replacement.

The last time l had a new set of tyres fitted to a car l insisted that the Manager inspect each rim before starting work. He agreed.....the rims were unmarked. Yes, you guessed it, when l picked up the car, one of the rims was damaged. The Manager said the damage must have already been there even though he'd acknowledged previously that they were unmarked. Bastard!!!!!

So, end of rant, what would you do.....ignore the nail or get the tyre fixed / replaced?

Goneincognito

Go Kart Champion
I feel your pain but sooner or later you're gonna have to get it fixed. I guess it just comes down to wether you want to risk a damaged rim or a crashed car from when it gives and you have a blow out doing 100k on the freeway??

qik_shift

Ready to race!
I cringe for the day I need to repair a tyre or replace it.

What a bastard to mark your rim for you!

Is there anybody on this forum who can help us to go to somebody who genuinely cares about rims not getting scratched?

Oh and honestly, it's probably worth mentioning where your horrible experience was so people can avoid going there.

srbsta

Banned
Car(s)
2006 Volkswagen GTI
go get it fixed hahahah srsly its not a good thing havin a tyre blow up on ya when on the freeway doin 100k like Goneincognito said i had a bad exp with it in my mates 330ci BMW with 20's on it hahahahha not good

srbsta

Banned
Car(s)
2006 Volkswagen GTI
ohhh before you go to the tyre shop take some pics of em with the manager there as proof it workz hahahaha hope all goes well

Hux

Passed Driver's Ed
My family is in the tyre game, and I used to be so maybe I can help you out. I can't recommend any particular dealer, but here are some things to look out for.
Firstly, the rattle gun used by the fitter should have a plastic sleeve over the wheel nut attachment. This will prevent the gun from scratching the insides of your wheel nut holes.
Second, the tyre fitting machine should be reasonably new and clean. If its an old machine, the greater the chance of damage to your rim. There are plastic fittings which attach to the metal parts of the machine that come into contact with the wheel which are designed to not scratch the wheel. Ask whether these will be used.
Third, when the wheel is balanced, make sure the fitter takes care when placing the wheel onto the machine. Poor fitters can easily damage a wheel and the balancing machine by just throwing a wheel onto it.
And finally, when the wheel is placed back on your car, make sure they take care not to scratch the bodywork of the car and that they again use the plastic sleeve on the nut attachment to not damage the wheel nut holes.

This isn't really a comprehensive guide, but some things to look out for. The best advice I can give you is to always be present when your car and/or wheel is being handled by someone else. Thats when they will be on their best behaviour! And I guess a reputable dealer would be the best option, but don't discount some of the smaller places. They are sometimes run by guys who have a real passion for cars and will take good care of you. In the event that your wheel does get scratched - demand to have it repaired or replaced. Take photos of each wheel before taking the car to the dealer, and you can use these as evidence. Trust me, no tyre dealer wants to go to court over a scratched wheel!

Hope this helps.

Kirium

Go Kart Champion
One of the more helpful posts I've seen on this site... :thumbsup: Thanks Hux...

Tensixty6

Old & Senile
My family is in the tyre game, and I used to be so maybe I can help you out. I can't recommend any particular dealer, but here are some things to look out for.
Firstly, the rattle gun used by the fitter should have a plastic sleeve over the wheel nut attachment. This will prevent the gun from scratching the insides of your wheel nut holes.
Second, the tyre fitting machine should be reasonably new and clean. If its an old machine, the greater the chance of damage to your rim. There are plastic fittings which attach to the metal parts of the machine that come into contact with the wheel which are designed to not scratch the wheel. Ask whether these will be used.
Third, when the wheel is balanced, make sure the fitter takes care when placing the wheel onto the machine. Poor fitters can easily damage a wheel and the balancing machine by just throwing a wheel onto it.
And finally, when the wheel is placed back on your car, make sure they take care not to scratch the bodywork of the car and that they again use the plastic sleeve on the nut attachment to not damage the wheel nut holes.

This isn't really a comprehensive guide, but some things to look out for. The best advice I can give you is to always be present when your car and/or wheel is being handled by someone else. Thats when they will be on their best behaviour! And I guess a reputable dealer would be the best option, but don't discount some of the smaller places. They are sometimes run by guys who have a real passion for cars and will take good care of you. In the event that your wheel does get scratched - demand to have it repaired or replaced. Take photos of each wheel before taking the car to the dealer, and you can use these as evidence. Trust me, no tyre dealer wants to go to court over a scratched wheel!

Hope this helps.

Thanks for that. I went to a couple of tyre outlets last weekend and the general consensus is that the nail is too close to the outside wall and cannot be repaired. So, looks like a new tyre is my only choice. I couldn't get a price out of any-one....both dealers said they'd have to ring Continental first. Have heard nothing since.

Kirium

Go Kart Champion
Just do some ringing around local tyre guys... You can expect anywhere between $250 and $450 for a new CSC2 in 17"

qik_shift

Ready to race!

Hope this helps.

Wow Hux, thanks for the input. I'll be keeping a close eye on the equipment where I buy my tyres from next time!