GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI vs 97-01 Cobra

binky

Ready to race!
Car(s)
06 Mazda MX-5
Well, just got my new 3" TB and I'm glad I got to try it out! The sound is a bit louder than I expected, but its growing on me. Anyways last night I was coming back from Napa on I-80 W. I was going about 90 (1 AM, very little traffic) and I pass a nice looking blk/blk Cobra. He at least had exhaust, because it was loud as shit. This is the model with the electric supercharger by the way, not the 390 hp beast. Next thing I know he passes me going 1xx and slows down... I slow down as well and we match up at about 50. I drop it to third, honk 3 times and :burnrubber:. I pulled an initial 2 cars or so, but he caught up slowly. By about 120 I had him by half a car and I let off. V8s just keep going and going :eyebulge:. We did the same thing a couple times from 40, 60, etc. with the same result. He actually got off the same exit as me (University Ave. Berkeley) and we ran from a stop at the next light. He got me on the launch but only had half a car on me by the time we let off. All in all, a great ride home. I now have APR 91 along with the TB. I'm really proud of my car!

Finnegan

The Drunken Irishman
Electric supercharger? Care to explain?

Japan8

Passed Driver's Ed
There was no s/c on the Cobra until the '03 and '04 model. Prior to that is just DOHC 4.6L V8. The same engine was also used in the Mach1.

Slowride

Touring Car Newbie
I hope it wasn't another one of the 25 million Cobra badged regular Mustangs out there.

...and what is this electric supercharger business? First I have heard of it.:iono:

binky

Ready to race!
Car(s)
06 Mazda MX-5
eh well i guess your right. at least thats what he said he had on it. it WAS a cobra though, i could tell the difference. those cars are rated at 305 hp 300 tq. still fast.

icculus

Oval Champion
Car(s)
M
Binky, what color GTi you have?

And do you ever go for runs on the 13? I get out there at least twice a week at around 12 or 1 trying to pick some fights, SO MUCH FUN.

Finnegan

The Drunken Irishman
eh well i guess your right. at least thats what he said he had on it. it WAS a cobra though, i could tell the difference. those cars are rated at 305 hp 300 tq. still fast.

The 96-98 Cobras had 305hp and 300tq. The 99-01 Cobras had 320hp and 317tq. They are completely different body styles and completely different engines. Which body style was it?

This

or

This?

2-8-1

My guess is that Cobra boy couldn't drive. Either that, or she was a V6.

I own a 1999 GT, more power under the curve, but Cobra's are roll monsters...320 Flywheel HP. it is VERY possible that you tangled with a 1999 without the intake "fix"...in 99 Ford had bad quality problems with the Cobra intakes and they actually made less rwhp than the GT cars...

it WAS a cobra though, i could tell the difference. those cars are rated at 305 hp 300 tq. still fast.

I doubt you can. It's not quite as easy as it sounds.

The car in Fin's bottom pic is a 2001. Only R models were avaible in 2000, and the 1999 Snakes looked a tiny bit different. No 2002 Models were built. 2003/4 Models were supercharged beasts, easily distiguishable, and very moddable.

1996-1998 Snakes engine blocks were built by Teksid, In Italy. They have built some of Ferrari's engines as well. Excellent power potential, not really spectacular from the factory, with a driver, quick enough, mid 13's.

There was no s/c on the Cobra until the '03 and '04 model. Prior to that is just DOHC 4.6L V8. The same engine was also used in the Mach1.

No, its not. They have NOTHING in common except the general layout. Blocks in Mach 1's are cast iron, heads are reworked. Compression ratio and internals are different. Intakes are similar but not the exact same. Mach's have more in common with GT's than Cobra's...