GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

non vw-oilchange voids warranty???

AlainLeon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2006 VW GTI
I just went to a local TiresPlus place to do the first oil change of my car, and the guy tells me, they recieved a bulletin from VW. It states that all 2006 and up VWs that have oil changed done outside of VW, will have their warranties. voided....I took the guys word for it, since i really dont know if thats true...I tried calling my local service dept from vw, but no answer...Any one know if this is BS? This place has bullshitted me before....only reason i go back, is cause its across the street from my house.

HYPERGUY95

Passed Driver's Ed
yes and no, just buy the vw filter and the same recomended oil (502.00) and anyone can do the service. just make sure you keeps reciepts showing you purchased the vw equivilent oil and the vw filter.

Turbo GTI

Autocross Newbie
It will only void your warranty if they can prove that you not getting the oil change from a Vw Dealer caused damage to the engine. Any oil that is used has to comply with the standard that VW accepts, as long as you go with the Oils that acceptable to them then there should be no problems. There are several threads on here that will explain more. (e.g. The compliance code or whatever VW calls it).. Just make sure that if you do get the oil changed from anyone outside of a VW Dealer that you use a authentic VW filter or there is a chance that it could set off a CEL... I know that this was a problem for previous GTI's

azmcs

FIA World Rally Car Champion
First, I wouldn't have a chain type place (i.e. Jiffy Lube etc..) change my oil. They use crap filters and oil.

Secondly there are a bunch of tuner shops/mechanic shops that get certified to do the routine maintainence on VW's by VWoA. There are several in Tucson here that are able to do it. The prices will not be as cheap as the chain places, but almost always are better than the stealerships price.

The other option is to buy the filters and oil from your local dealer and do it yourself. It is pretty darn easy to do.

Finnegan

The Drunken Irishman
First, I wouldn't have a chain type place (i.e. Jiffy Lube etc..) change my oil. They use crap filters and oil.

They use whatever oil/filter you want them to. If you bring them the oil and filter they can put it in for you. They also offer a lot of brands of oil in pretty much any weight, if you get crap oil it's because you bought the crap oil.

k0rson

Passed Driver's Ed
I just went to a local TiresPlus place to do the first oil change of my car, and the guy tells me, they recieved a bulletin from VW. It states that all 2006 and up VWs that have oil changed done outside of VW, will have their warranties. voided....I took the guys word for it, since i really dont know if thats true...I tried calling my local service dept from vw, but no answer...Any one know if this is BS? This place has bullshitted me before....only reason i go back, is cause its across the street from my house.

AlainLeon, according to Magnusson-Moss act of 1975 (I think), no company can condition their warranty on use of certain products (do a search, you will find the detailed explanation). I understand this is a law. You have to prove that you used oils/oil filters that meet the required specs, but other than that they cannot void the warranty. Have a copy of that bulletin and post it here...

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
AlainLeon, according to Magnusson-Moss act of 1975 (I think), no company can condition their warranty on use of certain products (do a search, you will find the detailed explanation). I understand this is a law. You have to prove that you used oils/oil filters that meet the required specs, but other than that they cannot void the warranty. Have a copy of that bulletin and post it here...

^^^ He's totally right on this!

Bad hare

Ex-mkv owner
jiffy lube sucks balls.

& K0rson is right. you don't have to put a vw oil filter or use vw oil. You should use anything of equal or better quality than what vw recommends.

if you opt to go to a jiffy lube, its your own perogative. But, if vw can claim thats the reason for any damage, you maybe shit out of luck.

azmcs

FIA World Rally Car Champion
In theory this is true,but find me a person who has won a claim based on this.

AlainLeon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2006 VW GTI
thanks for all the replies guys! makes me proud to be a GTI owner hehe :thumbsup:

k0rson

Passed Driver's Ed
In theory this is true,but find me a person who has won a claim based on this.

the idea is that VW has to prove that you messed up. you are innocent until proved guilty, so the burden is in them. If you can document that the oil meets 502.00 (or whatever the manual call for) and that the oil filter is OEM or equivalent AND that you know how to do an oil change, I believe you are covered. They would have to do an oil analysis of the oil that is in the car, showing that the oil broke down because it didn't meet the specs, and document this. same thing with the filter. Your ability to do an oil change can be proven by the fact that, let's say, you consulted technical manuals, you did many oil changes before and cars didn't get broken down because of you, you get info on this forum and others, you bought a VW repair manual that covers your car model and year, etc.

of course, if it gets to court, it is a mess and a pain, but i believe people are scared to fight back and that is why they don't even try.

bottom line: if you use good quality oil and filter, you won't have any problems, all this talk is just for your peace of mind, and also to educate you that if they makle a claim against you, it is not enough, they have to prove it.

k0

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
I concur. I've used an Amsoil on all my warrantied VW/Audi cars and have not had a problem with using it at all.
I also have customers that own VW's and other manufactures vehicles and love the protection and results they have with a better "oil of their choice."
Besides, your vehicle is the second biggest investment you make. Might as well protect it with the best there is.

landon

tearing up the oxygen
i have always done my own oil changes on all of my VWs, and i have never had an issue. always used OEM oil filter, and 502.00 approved oil (usually mobil 1).