GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

iracing

Khobin~

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'07 GTI, '97 YZF600R
Anyone here got it?

A guy I know on a local forum is super addicted, he's gone so far as to build his own home-made simulator, and said the other day he was racing Dale Ernhart jr.

Looking at the website www.iracing.com it does look pretty sweet. :biggrin:

BlaineWasHere

I brake for apexes!
I guarantee he was NOT racing Jr.

I am an old school NASCAR sim racer. We are talking for the last 14 years.

Papy sims where better and actaully used by NASCAR drivers until EA killed them with licensing issues.

paulsim

I am very new to these forums as I have just recently started looking for a car and have my heart set on a GTI. I open with that statement so that I don't get lambasted too hard but I have been in a sim race with Dale Junior at iRacing. I understand your scepticism but it's not that big of a deal. He is just a guy. He posts regularly in the forums and is a very active member there. A subscription at iRacing requires you to use your real name. There are no screenames or anything of the sort. He has been into sim racing for a long time. DMP was a top tier league that everyone wanted to get in when NR2003 was hot.

I was heavily involved in NASCAR Racing 2003 back when it was hot, raced the ARCA sim and rFactor. Each has it's good and bad points. While I enjoy iRacing more than those it ain't cheap as it's an ongoing subscription. Most of us who are, or were into sim racing were used to paying once for the sim and getting all sorts of add ons and updates for free. iRacing takes a more Nazi-ish stand and charges you for all the "extras". So it has put many people off. I somehow justify it. :smile:

Right now they have 32 tracks, some with multiple configurations, and 13 different cars for both oval and road racing. It's a great community and loads of fun for those that have the time and willingness to practice. If you are interested or just want to ceck out som neat stuff go to http://www.youtube.com/user/iRacingTV

Oh yeah... if you liked the Papy sims this is head and shoulders above that. Dave Kaemmer, who was the main guy for Papyrus is now at iRacing.

Karel S

Ready to race!
Welcome to the site, Paul !
Good to see another iRacer in here :thumbsup:

There are quite a few real racers who use iRacing actually. Back in september or october I was in a race with Jacques Villeneuve. I think it was with the Pontiac Solstice at Lime Rock.

paulsim

Yes it is good to see at least one more. Lime Rock in the Solstice... that's where Jr. motored past me right at the s/f line. I suck at RCs but they are fun anyway. Laguna always eats my lunch!