GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI DSG (Stock) vs Modified 2001 Grand Prix GTP

streetsoldier185

Yellow Jacket LS1
Car(s)
04 GTO 6MT
Okay, as some of you may know, i have a 2001 v6 camaro. which i am getting rid of for a gti mkv in december...that being said heres the story...

I am the passenger in my friends 2001 Grand Prix GTP, which not even close to stock...smaller supercharger pulley, intake, downpipe-back exhaust, springs, re-flashed pcm, etc. Hes probably pushing somewhere close to 300HP and about 320TQ. We were driving home from a movie and we see a red MKV driving crazy so my friend speeds up to it. They race from about a 65mph roll and my friends GTP pulls on the MKv...BARELY. I was very impressed with the MKv. We later catch the guy at a redlight and he says its a stock DSG. Then they go from a dig and my friend still wins but again....BARELY. He pulled about a car on him from 0-120mph.....i am very impressed. i cant wait till i get my MKv

kmf82

Go Kart Champion
my dad has an 02 Regal GS (same drivetrain as the GTP) with the same exact mods as the GTP that you guys raced. The best et we got out of it was a 13.9 @ 97mph. Pretty quick but a normal driver would get low to mid 14's out of it. An mkv can hang pretty well with it as you discovered.

On to the good part, my dad just went out and bought a package 1, 18 in wheels, DSG equipped MK5 the other day! He loves the car and also said it would hang right with the GS.

Slowride

Touring Car Newbie
About a year ago, there was a new highway under construction near where I work that had traffic going one way in two lanes, with the other side closed. This meant that there was literally no way that any traffic (cops) could be coming the other way, nor hiding in a median that didn't yet exist. The second best part was that the one way highway was closed directly behind the on-ramp that I got on, so basically, this highway was like a really long landing strip.

Needless to say, it didn't take long before this became a mini-Autobahn for commuters. One evening, I got on the ramp and saw a red GTP and a black Vette literally stopped on this highway, and getting ready to drag. I slowed way down, and waited for them to launch. The Vette won by about 2 bus lengths by the end.

...anyway, I saw the GTP post and that reminded me...hehe.

kmf82

Go Kart Champion
The GTP's and GS's can be pretty dangerous with very minimal mods. They have great low end torque, but by the time you hit 3rd gear they run out of breath pretty quickly. If your running high 13's generally your breaking the 100mph barrier as well, but the best we could get was 97 mph. In an 1/8 mile those cars shine though

kmf82

Go Kart Champion
300HP is pretty generous

Not really with those kind of mods (300 motor HP that is, not whp). Those cars come stock with 240 hp / 280 tq. Adding a smaller pulley, full 3inch exhaust, and CAI can get you 300 HP at the motor.

Our GS nearly knocked a full second off it's e.t. with those mods.

GTPsex

Thats about right. GTPs struggle at higher speeds, but they're fun cars, and with a few mods can be a great sleeper. And yeah, the 300HP is deffinately to the motor.

lancGTI

www.oli.org
Car(s)
2006 GTI
Thats about right. GTPs struggle at higher speeds, but they're fun cars, and with a few mods can be a great sleeper. And yeah, the 300HP is deffinately to the motor.

Thanks for bringing back a thread that's been dormant for 2 1/2 years; asshat.

Jever

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2010 MK6 GTI

Supercharged cars usaually run out of breath in the top end.

gottiR32

Banned
Car(s)
Duh .:R32 Hello?
What would make a person search gtp and then bring back multiple threads dead for 1-3 years?

:laughabove:...It's always fun to hear from you...