GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TX front license plates no longer required!

TEX-407

--------------------
Car(s)
2007 GTI 4-door
Just went to the dealer today to get my new plates. When I asked them not to drill the bumber, they told me that as of September 1st, front plates are no longer required! Two people at the dealership confirmed this...

You guys can get rid of your fabricated brackets.

andrewt

Autocross Champion
i haven't heard of this either, and until i hear official word, i'll assume they're still required.

that said, my gti doesn't have a front plate, and neither did my old gti. i've driven around for the past 5 years or so without one, and have never had a problem. i've been pulled over a couple times, and the officer never said anything about it.

TEX-407

--------------------
Car(s)
2007 GTI 4-door
I did get two plates. The dealer (park cities VW in Dallas) said they have stopped drilling any new vehicles and made sure to point it out to me on all the sales lot. Not sure why they'd make that up since i already bought the car.

I did some checking on my own with TXDOT and could not find any information about it ... but I'm leaving mine off.

mach5

you are next
I don't have one on my car right now and have been pulled over twice for it. It's more like something that they will add to a ticket or use as an excuse to pull you over if they can't find another reason.

The first time I was pulled over for it I had just left a nightclub and they used it as an excuse to pull me over looking for drunk drivers. Last week I was doing 6 over and no front plate...guess he had to meet a quota or something. Both times, I told them that it is in the trunk but the mounting bracket that holds it up is broken and on back order.

Chances are, if they gave you two plates, you are to use two plates. They wouldn't want an extra license plate laying around that could be stolen and put on a different vehicle. Ignorance of the law is no excuse...that's what they will tell you.

I haven't found anything on it but I remember hearing/reading that they did this last year also, for September 1 2005.

Either way, I would just keep it in the trunk area and if you get pulled over and asked about it...I would just repeat what the dealership told you, show the officer that there is no place for it to go and and tell him that the dealership didn't provide you with any type of mounting kit for it but you held on to it just incase.

andrewt

Autocross Champion
The first time I was pulled over for it I had just left a nightclub and they used it as an excuse to pull me over looking for drunk drivers.

that's usually how i hear about people getting pulled over for no front plate. they'll use any silly excuse to pull you over, looking for people with warrants, drunk driving, drugs, etc. i don't really have to worry about any of these things, so i take my chances...its usually a fix it ticket anyway. the front plate just ruins the look of the front of a lot of cars for me.

boostaholic

fast attack
Car(s)
07 Tornado Red GTI
I am picking up my plates tomorrow...so I'll let everyone know. If I receive two, then it will be obvious.

When the lady called yesterday to confirm my plates were in, she did use the plural form. I think this is just another rumor people are trying to spread.

boostaholic

fast attack
Car(s)
07 Tornado Red GTI
Either way, I would just keep it in the trunk area and if you get pulled over and asked about it...I would just repeat what the dealership told you, show the officer that there is no place for it to go and and tell him that the dealership didn't provide you with any type of mounting kit for it but you held on to it just incase.

Just FYI...this does not work in Lewisville. Been there tried that. I bought my last car from out of state ( in a state that doesn't require a front plate), so the car did not come equipped with the pre-drilled holes or the bracket. My husband and I tried explaining this to the officer, and told him we had the extra plate in the car. He still wrote us a ticket.

It was a fix it ticket, but still we received the ticket.

My GTI currently has no mounting on the front either, and I bought here locallu, so we'll see what happens.

Neon Guy

Tin Can Racer
Car(s)
1998 SPEC Neon
If the law had truly passed... the state would have given you an option for one or two plates.

I used to live in New Mexico, where you can run a front plate if you want to.
When I went to the NM DMV, they always asked if I wanted one or two, and marked it on the order form.

I wouldn't believe the dealership.... the police certainly won't.

alf

Modwhoreator
Car(s)
2006 TR GTI
i jsut apid off a ticket for no front plate back in april now that i remember lol.

that dman cop got me for speeding and no front plate, i tried to beg him telling him it was a new car, but no dice. oh well he was jsut doing his job.