GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Resonated vs. Non-Resonated

Jay S.

Passed Driver's Ed
The difference is resonated exhausts are quieter and flow don't flow quite as good( in my opnion the difference is nearly negligible). To explain further flow is the speed at which the exhaust gasses move through the exhaust system. The less the restriction the higher the flow through the exhaust hence more power and noise. A resonator is designed to absorb as much noise as posibble without reducing flow. That is the difference. :thumbup:

Last edited:

GTI 2.0T

Rally Car Champion
Car(s)
mkv GTI
Jay S. said:
The difference is resonated exhausts are quieter and flow don't flow quite as good( in my opnion the difference is nearly negligible). To explain further flow is the speed at which the exhaust gasses move through the exhaust system. The less the restriction the higher the flow through the exhaust hence more power and noise. A resonator is designed to absorb as much noise as posibble without reducing flow. That is the difference. :thumbup:

nice explanation:thumbsup:

Newcastle

Drag Racing Champion
Jay S. said:

:headbang: :respekt:

GTI2007

this I copied from the site of Milltek:

Q. What is a resonator and what's the difference between a resonated and non-resonated exhaust system?
A. A resonator is a chamber in the exhaust system that contains a specific volume of air which is designed to cancel out certain frequencies of sound (made by the engine) - making the exhaust noise quieter. Therefore, a non-resonated exhaust system will give you extra performance and a louder exhaust note and the resonated system will give you extra performance without increasing the exhaust noise much.

gatorfast

man amongst boys
Cru_Jones said:
Any guides handy that shows ya how to remove it?
not really a guide...if you wanted to remove a resonator from the stock exhaust you would have to cut it off then weld on a straight pipe

nbturbos

Passed Driver's Ed

nbturbos

Passed Driver's Ed
d.C said:
can you tell me what exactly did your local muffler shop did?

step 1. Cut resonator off
step 2. Weld pipe in
step 3. Charge me

coolme187

Touring Car Champion
i wouldnt touch the stock exhaust, esp since your going to have to cut some parts of it off. just save your money for an exhaust.

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
coolme187 said:
i wouldnt touch the stock exhaust, esp since your going to have to cut some parts of it off. just save your money for an exhaust.

i couldnt agree more...nothing like killing a stock exhaust just to get an exhaust note

but on the other hand....that thing sound FRICKIN' AWESOME!!!!....haha....i could see myself doing that just for shits and giggles

the problem is if u ever goto sell or trade in the car...u would have to either put a chopped stock exhaust on or keep your aftermarket on there

agpatel

Touring Car Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI MkV
just wondering if anyone in NC has taken it off, can you still pass the state inspection?