GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rattles?

Jerome81

Autocross Newbie
I've now driven 2 new GTI's and each had a rattle that I found annoying. I drive a 97 Miata now and the combo of stiff suspension, flexible chassis due to no roof, and age, has resulted in a car full of them, and is a big reason why i'm thinking of getting into something new.

The first had something involving the sunshade. The second was something around the radio/dash area.

Are there common rattles on the GTI or are these problems likely isolated incidents? How have your cars been holding up so far? Can I expect a large increase a few years down the road?

koweansouljah4

Passed Driver's Ed
even though i havent drove a gti yet i heard from some people that the there was a rattle noise in the sunroof somewhere but i dunno about the radio :iono: hope its not like that on all of the gtis

Wantagti

insufficient funds
Car(s)
Chevy Suburban Z71
I drove one without a sunroof and heard none. I'm a freak about noises. I sure hope it's only isolated incidents. How about it Euro GTI owners??

burro

Ready to race!
My sunroof rattles when the sliding cover is open. But it's fine with it closed. I never really looked at what exactly is causing the rattle.

h82bslo

Autocross Newbie
no rattles. did hear something when i was driving on a that was really tore up. other then that. there's nothing.

Accel

Rally Car Champion
With the sunroof open the whole front above the windshield vibrates, that kinda bugs me, but other then that, no rattles, 5000 miles.

davesee

FIA GT Champion
mine has a sunroof and has a slight rattle noise which seems to come from the sunglass holder door.. It doesnt rattle all the time, and when it does its not very loud - in fact most people probably wouldnt notice it.

I seem to notice the smallest noises while driving.

GTI 2.0T

Rally Car Champion
Car(s)
mkv GTI
I have no rattles till now

Newcastle

Drag Racing Champion
I have the sunroof, but no rattles unless it is open. Then the sunshade makes a bit of noise when it is pushed back all the way, but with the sunroof closed, there is no noise anywhere, just the sound of the engine and road, and my heart beating fast.

Fuzzbear

Fat bastard
Car(s)
07 VW GTI
My sunroof rattles when the sliding cover is open. But it's fine with it closed. I never really looked at what exactly is causing the rattle.

I know i resurrecting the dead here, wondering if anyone ever figured out a way to stop this sunroof shade rattle?

HACBassoon

Go Kart Champion
I unfortunently must report numerous rattles as I hit 11k miles. One major one from the sunglass holder (no sunroof here) one from near the front left tweeter and one that sounds like it coming out of the gauges. that ones more of a tick than rattle, no movement needed to cause it. So yea... my car rattles like a tin can, but i still love it. :thumbup:

notsolinear

Takes his fast for rides
I've heard several people talking about the air diffuser (top, center of dash) rattling. Mine was doing it over big bumps or down cobblestone roads. Just got it back from the dealer today and it's silent over all but the worst bumps. They chose to fix it by putting padding in.

That's the only rattle that's bugged me enough to look into. Very occasionally I'll hear something from around the car but it's often a seat belt not strapped down or the window not rolled up the last 1% of the way.

Overall it's a very quiet car due to the huge amount of laser welding and generally solid construction. Far quieter than my New Beetle was. I also don't have a sunroof...