GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Telephone Button on steering wheel

grdriver

Greek Driver
Car(s)
GOLF GTI MKV
Hey boys and girls , i know that the telephone button on the steering wheel does not work on USA models, but does it work on EUROPEAN models? Maybe there is a VW that the only sell in europe that we can buy from ebay? Is it bluetooth???

AutoXinMK5

Touring Car Champion
Hey boys and girls , i know that the telephone button on the steering wheel does not work on USA models, but does it work on EUROPEAN models? Maybe there is a VW that the only sell in europe that we can buy from ebay? Is it bluetooth???

Supposed to be for bluetooth.

Rumored there will be a backdate/retro fit for the ones that don't have it right now

Parrothead

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
my salesman told me the contract VW had w/ bluetooth fell through after production of the steering wheels so they just left it as is, instead of wasting all the money to correct it...

Bad hare

Ex-mkv owner
i wired my telephone button as a passenger eject seat....

techcho

Ready to race!
I think they have an option kit which can be added on at the dealership.
When I got my GTI a couple weeks ago, they kept pushing me to add it on....
Would love to know how much the oem vw bluetooth kit would be.??

Dr. Woo

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 VW .:R32
That's not a phone on the button...it's a boomerang.

Bluechair

Passed Driver's Ed
It's not for Bluetooth and Bluetooth isn't a company that VWoA failed to contract with.

The button is for switching the entertainment system over to telephone control in cars that have been equipped with the wired telephone 'prep' kit. Some US and Canadian MkV Jettas had it when they arrived in port and some dealerships were installing it too. It was (and may still be) an option.

However, the prep kit comes incomplete and requires the owner to invest in an additional cradle to match his/her phone. They're largely Nokia models but there are a few Motorola, Siemens, and Sony Ericcson models supported too. I've found at least one oem supplier with compatible cradles at nemesisgb.com, but they do not have a cradle for my phone... which is why I'm going with a Motorola IHF-1000 Bluetooth connection. If/When I trade in my phone for another, I won't have to source another cradle for a wired kit.

Now, for the steering controls, I'm finding some very promising things. Using the line-level input pins on the radio (telephone only guys, sorry) the volume control for the Moto kit is redundant; the radio controls the volume level of my phone calls. Same with the mute button (the star key). All I really need is the hook button... and that will substitute for the Moto kit's big blue button quite nicely to make or take calls and surf the setup menus (by voice).

When you get this working, would you be able to do a small DIY for the wiring up of the steering wheel button and volume? I'm kinda of a noob when it comes to stereo wiring...

Thanks

Last edited:

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
It's the button that's wired directly to VWOA for a bitch session!

gti mkv

Ready to race!
its the button i push repeatedly when i get bored or stuck in traffic button (hoping something cool will happen)