GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

launch control - arrgh!

qik_shift

Ready to race!
Another query while I'm getting used to my new beast :smile:

I can only seem to get the launch control working half the time. I feel silly posting this thread since there's so many posts on it already, but can't seem to find what I am looking for.

I seem to be doing what the video clips and prior threads have shown. I turn the ESP off, and put the transmission in S mode. When the vehicle is stationery, I apply the brake and the accelerator at the same time. 50% of the time it'll stall up and the other 50% the clutch engages and won't stall up.

Is there an exact order I need to do things? For example, should I only turn the ESP off once the vehicle is stationery and then put it in S mode, or vice versa?

Any info would be great from experienced golfers.

damo

Oval Newbie
Another query while I'm getting used to my new beast :smile:

I can only seem to get the launch control working half the time.
Every time i try mine it works but im not sure if i do anythng in any particular order. Try putting it in S after you pull up then turn the ESP off and go from there, I always drive in manual and never with ESP on, i've never had any drama's try that and see how you go:burnrubber:

qik_shift

Ready to race!
Thanks for that info Damo. I'll leave it in manual mode and ESP off and come to a traffic light and see how I go.

Do you need to press the brake pedal quite hard for it to work? Maybe that's not what I'm doing.

damo

Oval Newbie
Thanks for that info Damo. I'll leave it in manual mode and ESP off and come to a traffic light and see how I go.

Do you need to press the brake pedal quite hard for it to work? Maybe that's not what I'm doing.
No just normal, you don't need to press the accelerator hard just feather it up. You'll be right

Discotheque

Go Kart Champion

You do need to make sure the brake is depressed properly though and the clutch has a chance to disengage properly.

The only thing I could suggest is you are trying to do it too quickly, make sure you have come to a complete stop and the brake pedal is depressed properly and has been for a few seconds before you press the accelerator pedal.

I don't think the order of when you switch to S or manual or when you turn ESP off matters, it just matters that you do both.

qik_shift

Ready to race!
You do need to make sure the brake is depressed properly though and the clutch has a chance to disengage properly.

The only thing I could suggest is you are trying to do it too quickly, make sure you have come to a complete stop and the brake pedal is depressed properly and has been for a few seconds before you press the accelerator pedal.

I don't think the order of when you switch to S or manual or when you turn ESP off matters, it just matters that you do both.

Disco,

You hit the nail right on the head. I think what it was is that I didn't give the clutch enough time to disengage. Last night I gave it much longer pauses after stopping and it worked each and every time. I must admit it was awesome! Really feels like taking off in a mnaul powered car! :eyebulge:

Thanks for everybody's help.

SSS_Hoon

Touring Car Champion
Car(s)
Nissan Pulsar SSS
yeah i love the LC my missus hates it when i take off in it though(its her car) she thinks driving it in manual is slower then sports mode i think tis due to the fact that i change before the sports mode would change therefore is quieter and not revvings its tits off.

SSS_Hoon

ozabyss

Go Kart Newbie
Must try launch control, now that you all have sorted all the idiosyncrasies out. Interested to know, how often are people using it, does it not tend to wear your front Conti's down rather rapidly?

qik_shift

Ready to race!
Must try launch control, now that you all have sorted all the idiosyncrasies out. Interested to know, how often are people using it, does it not tend to wear your front Conti's down rather rapidly?

I've been using it quite often lately, but only because I was concerned that it wasn't working. I'd be lucky if I used mine every couple to few weeks. If you use it well and don't stall it too much and you're not too ham-footed, you won't find too much wheelspin and the contis will be fine.

I'm more concerned with the clutches in the DSG. It feels like the LC makes the clutch 'ride' which means they must be worn down a little each time you do it??

Discotheque

Go Kart Champion
I'm more concerned with the clutches in the DSG. It feels like the LC makes the clutch 'ride' which means they must be worn down a little each time you do it??

What you're experiencing there is the computer controlling the power and clutches to ensure it isn't just dumped and have you sit there in a cloud of tyre smoke but rather allow controlled wheelspin for the best launch. The clutches are wet so their wear should be less than a conventional clutch (correct me if I am wrong there).

I have only used launch control a couple of times, I don't see the need to take off from every set of lights at 3000rpm in a puff of smoke.

SSS_Hoon

Touring Car Champion
Car(s)
Nissan Pulsar SSS
yeah they are wet pack clutches which mean that they are completly in oil and therefore wear less.

i have got a few perfect launches using launch control, but my missus launches better in sport mode then i do with launch control but my way is much more fun.

SSS_Hoon