GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf MkVI?

Hux

Passed Driver's Ed
G'day guys. I saw an article a few months back in Wheels that had a computer generated image of the supposed MkVI GTI due out in 2008. I did a search and couldn't find anything - does anyone here know when the MkVI is due out? I'm keen to pick up a MkV GTI, but don't want to have the superseded model in just 18 months.

Kirium

Go Kart Champion
It should be out in Europe by the end of 07, early 08. Expect it here late 08 or early 09.

fastgolfer

Ready to race!
I understand one of the reasons for fast tracking the MkVI is the fact that the MkV is simply too expensive to manufacture, particularly given the excellent four-link rear suspension - a key contributor to the car's excellent handling characteristics.

My concern is the MkVI may not be quite as well built or specified as the MkV and it may well come to pass that the MkV is simply a highly desirable model in years to come - a little like the MkII GTI 16V is when it became apparent the MkIII was not up to par.

The MKVI will be an improvement to the MKV...if it wasn't it wouldn't sell, and I cannot see a car manufacturer putting out a new product that was inferior to an older one.

qik_shift

Ready to race!
The MKVI will be an improvement to the MKV...if it wasn't it wouldn't sell, and I cannot see a car manufacturer putting out a new product that was inferior to an older one.

I would beg to differ. Usually manufacturers like to keep a shape of a car for at least a six year period. Why would VW be so keen to hurry the process of the MKVI when there are still truckloads of people waiting for their GTI's to be built?

I do beleive that VW are struggling because of the time it takes to build a MKV and VW are hitting a panic button because they aren't making much money on these cars. Motor vehicle manufacturers can get following models wrong. I think words like AU Falcon and new Holden/Daewoo range will say it all.

The bottom line is VW are going to release a car that is quicker and cheaper to build. To me, unless there is some breakthrough in mechatronics, those words (quicker and cheaper to build) don't sound too positive.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see :iono:

sola|2a

vdubinmatownhaus
I would beg to differ. Usually manufacturers like to keep a shape of a car for at least a six year period. Why would VW be so keen to hurry the process of the MKVI when there are still truckloads of people waiting for their GTI's to be built?

I do beleive that VW are struggling because of the time it takes to build a MKV and VW are hitting a panic button because they aren't making much money on these cars. Motor vehicle manufacturers can get following models wrong. I think words like AU Falcon and new Holden/Daewoo range will say it all.

The bottom line is VW are going to release a car that is quicker and cheaper to build. To me, unless there is some breakthrough in mechatronics, those words (quicker and cheaper to build) don't sound too positive.

I am thinking in the same wavelength and hence want to get a MKV despite the fact that the MKVI will be 2 years away.

Kirium

Go Kart Champion
The fact is that the MkV is costing too much to build VW. It's complex to build and time consuming. Longer time on the line = less cars being built = higher cost per unit.

VW can build the MkVI faster (on the line) by pre-assembling more of the car off the production line. Getting component suppliers to pre-assemble larger chunks of the car makes the car faster to build on the line. That should enable faster build of the car, while maintaining the required level of quality...

There's a chance the MkVI could be a big step down, but there are ways to make it faster to build without sacrificing quality... I don't think people should worry about the MkVI suddenly having the build quality of a Perodua or some other nasty little shitbox. The Golf is VW's icon car. They can't afford to make a bad one.

Hux

Passed Driver's Ed

I'm not so sure that there are still 'truckloads' of people waiting on GTIs. I spoke with Chatswood Classic Cars yesterday, and they have 7 GTIs in stock that are apparently all cancelled orders. I'm not saying that because one dealer has a few extra cars that suddenly VW's production line will come to a grinding halt, but I think in 2 years time the demand will have slowed.

I personally would like to see VW Aus bring out a 'special' GTI that can keep up the interest in the car before the release of the MkVI (especially with all the current rival hot hatches). Soemthing like the Edition 30 would be just right.

qik_shift

Ready to race!
I'm not so sure that there are still 'truckloads' of people waiting on GTIs. I spoke with Chatswood Classic Cars yesterday, and they have 7 GTIs in stock that are apparently all cancelled orders. I'm not saying that because one dealer has a few extra cars that suddenly VW's production line will come to a grinding halt, but I think in 2 years time the demand will have slowed.

I personally would like to see VW Aus bring out a 'special' GTI that can keep up the interest in the car before the release of the MkVI (especially with all the current rival hot hatches). Soemthing like the Edition 30 would be just right.

A 30th ann GTI would be great, and I would have wanted one myself, but in all honesty it may not get to Australia. I'm not even sure if there's a definite date for production in Europe?

Compared to the majority of other cars, GTI is still in high demand. In Australia, we had such a bad backlog of orders that VW Aus cracked it and was allocated something around the 200 car mark. If this event didn't happen, then there would still be lots of people waiting for them. Many other manufacturers often have cars sitting in storage lots for months (sometimes even into the prior year) before they are sold! For GTI's, people are often checking for VINs online to try and work out when their car is arriving!

I understand that things may slow down in two years' time, but I think the MKV won't slow down too much. It's too much of a good car for that to happen. Obviosuly this is personal opinion.

There's no doubt the MKVI isn't going to be a shlop, VW wouldn't do that in a million years, however I'm trying to say that it may not necessarily be a better car.

Kirium

Go Kart Champion
In Australia, we had such a bad backlog of orders that VW Aus cracked it and was allocated something around the 200 car mark.

VW Australia didn't do a damn thing about the backlog. Infact, they kept using the excuse that they couldn't get any more allocation. They'd crow on about how it was just as popular everywhere else in the world and they could do nothing about it, while soaking up the glowing tributes for the car and using the long wait times as an example of how good the car was. It was Volkswagen AG in Germany that heard about the 12+ month waiting times and angry GTI buyers from media reports (particularly from drive.com.au "The car that money can't buy") and essentially stripped South Africa's production allocation and gave it to Australia. In return South African members on here reported their waiting times then shot up by around 3-6 months. VWA had nothing to do with getting more allocation, but they were happy to take the credit to satisfy the unhappy folks waiting (like I did).

As for MkVI quality, I had a MkIV GTI before the MkV and many have made mention of how the interior isn't up to par on the MkV compared with the MkIV. I don't agree with that. I think the MkV interior is a much nicer place to be. It has better design, better ergonomics and I think some of the plastics are better in the MkV than the previous model. But that's just IMHO. I think the MkVI will be fine. People shouldn't instantly assume that faster and easier to build instantly = cheaper and nastier car. If the car is built smarter, there's every chance it'll be better than the MkV. The MkIV was faster to build and it apparently had Audi interior quality. :iono:

ozabyss

Go Kart Newbie
I hear what you say Kirium. Although logic says that either of two things will happen, A: to keep the quality, the car will go up in price or B: will loose some features to maintain the $40K list price. I have read on several occcasions you have mentioned the MK V is too expensive to build. They could be small features like climate control to normal air con, steering wheel downgraded to the same as other golfs....who knows. :confused: Either way it will be interesting to see what happens.

As far now , the MK V is a stunning car, I certainly had no hesitation grabbing one as soon as I could and have no regretts!!:thumbup:

srbsta

Banned
Car(s)
2006 Volkswagen GTI
LMAOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hux

Passed Driver's Ed
Geezus Christ. This is an old one.

I remember seeing the first official pics of the Pirelli GTI and thinking "yep, I'll be waiting for that one". Pfft, I couldn't wait nearly 9-12 months for VW Aus to get their shit together. :lol: