GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

FYI - Bad Fuel Pressure Sensor Symptoms

JeepNGLI

Heart-ing Forge Since 06
Monday I posted up that I had some issues with my car. In the end the diagnosis was a bad fuel pressure sensor which VW told me is a new recall/TSB. So for general knowledge and future searching, here's were my systomps.

Bad Fuel Pressure Sensor Symptoms:

-- On cold start, RPMS rose to around 1600 and boost was around 5-10mmHg instead of 20 or so. Noticeable difference, sounded like engine was reving on its own.

-- Car had serve lack of power, while still be able to boost(in stock mode I was still hitting 15psi, but not accelerating as normal.)

-- At low RPMS, car just didn't want to go. Didn't feel like it was stalling, but close. Lots of hesitation.

-- Using VAG-com, fuel pressure readings (actual and specified) were right on.

It was hard to properly diagnose the problem. I think my sensor was on the verge of failing b/c the morning I brought it in it was running fine but then acted up when the dealership got it.

SOLUTION:
-- New Fuel Pressure Sensor as per VW(might be a tsb/recall). Although they said I needed an ECU update, my software is still on so I left believe I never received an update/wasn't necessary.

I'll post up the fuel pressure sensor part number when I get home from work.

doctorgonzo

Anti-spin doctor
Indeed, many guys experiencing what they report as "fuel cuts" are actually having this sensor issue.

The old sensor design is susceptible to fuel penetration, and stops sending a valid signal. It will happen to every 2.0T eventually.

There is a RVUTB out for this problem - that's a required vehicle update technical bulletin. It's RVUTB 20 08 03.

This is required by law, as it poses a serious safety hazard. The dealership will fix it and receive a credit. I took my car in, and they didn't give me any grief for my mods. They just did the work, and didn't charge me.

Chris

JeepNGLI

Heart-ing Forge Since 06
Ah, well sorry for the repost. However, when I posted my problem, not one person suggested it might be the fuel pressure sensor. Everyone jumps to the fuel pump/ cam lobe issues. I did a search and never really found the answers I want. But with the addition of your comments above, I think it should be easier to search for.

JeepNGLI

Heart-ing Forge Since 06
ha, I've been on here longer than you. Trust me, I know that. However, there are some very helpful people on here and I wait for them to chime in before I start listening.

julito04

I plead the fif.
Car(s)
08 WRX Limited
so If im out of warranty they will perform this with no questions asked and not charge me?

JeepNGLI

Heart-ing Forge Since 06
If its a full recall, I'd assume so. I had a recall on my Cherokee that involved putting a heat shield on to prevent fire in the engine bay and that was mandatory and free. I image if its mandatory they'd have to do it for free b/c you wouldn't want some people being cheap and comprising safety.

itisagoodname

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'08 G37S
How much does a new sensor run? I'll be out of warranty in 1k miles so im pretty much on my own now that i've had all my warranty issues taken care of.