GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My Dilemma.

Avista

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello everybody,

I am facing a dilemma and I wanted some second opinions; ok here is my story. About 6 months ago I purchased a brand new 2005 Infiniti G35, for those of you outside of US Nissan Skyline GT350. A month ago I was rear ended on the freeway by a 70 year old granny. It took $10000 USD to repair the car (paid by insurance) and the frame also had to be repaired. I personally feel that after such an extensive damage the car is not going to be the same and don’t feel comfortable paying $550 plus insurance for car that was basically raped up the butt. I am thinking about trading the car in for 2006 GTI MkV, package 1. I know I will loose money on the trade in, a lot of money in fact, but my monthly payment is going to be lower, the insurance will be lower, and I won’t feel I’m driving a crashed car. What do you guys think?

Hokietuner

Rally Car Newbie
As long as you're okay going from a G35 to a GTI, go for it, the GTI has a nice interior, not G35, but nice indeed. As for loosing money on the trade, sell the car outright,and pick up the package 2 fully loaded GTI

bilbos

On the Kop
I know that I would be reluctant to keep driving the car aswell after that much damage, especially if the chassis was bent out of shape. It is a wonder that they didn't write it off.

As to losing money, you would be better off selling privately, but then you would probably have to declare the damage to the prospective owner(s) which would be a major put-off and make it difficult to sell.

Tough call.

Slowride

Touring Car Newbie
$27k in trade is about a fair condition value for that car and isn't bad at all for a car that has been wrecked.

The question is, how far upside down are you going to go? If you owe $30k, or more, you are working with a bit of a loss if your GTI prices out at the $27k range out the door.

Also, is the dealer open ended on the deal? In other words, did they specify that they would give you 27k only if the GTI you purchased was of close to equal value? If not, go with a stripped GTI and you might be able to avoid the upside down and at the same time, get a lower payment and get out of a potential warranty nightmare later with that G35.

Avista

Passed Driver's Ed
I owe 24K and the GTI with DSG and Package 1 would be around 26K out the door I'm guessing. So I definetly have some down payment.

Slowride

Touring Car Newbie
Avista said:
I owe 24K and the GTI with DSG and Package 1 would be around 26K out the door I'm guessing. So I definetly have some down payment.

I don't see a problem, other than you might be able to squeeze out another $2-3k on a private party deal. However, the fact that the car was wrecked and repaired will get that private party in haggle mode.

Newcastle

Drag Racing Champion
Sounds like a good deal. I ended up doing the same thing when some kid crossed the lane and hit me headon - I didn't even have time to brake. This was in my 2002 Lexus. After all was said and done even though I had a new car, it just didn't feel the same - so I traded it in at a similar deal. I felt a lot better doing that than continueing to pay $600. a month for a wrecked car, and I got a decent enough deal from the dealer that I came out about the same all and all.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I would not blame you at all. The car will never be the same. Especialy to you.

HotLanta MKfizzle

Formula 5000 Driver
if the bodyshop you went to, does good work, I'm sure your G35 is fine. My dad's friend used to let me hang out at his body shop, and they made the cars better than new sometimes, by reinforcing them. Honestly, I know it might feel weird but the car should perform, look and feel fine. I love my GTI, but I think the G35 is super nice (as long as you have the coupe.) Unless you get a killer deal from the VW guy's I wouldn't take the loss. Again it's all about the shop you had it fixed at. If they do super work, then your car is good as new, if they do sub-par work, i'd dump it before your ass falls off. In 2 months you'll forget about the accident, don't make an impulse decision...just be patient...good luck.

Avista

Passed Driver's Ed
Actually, good news, the Insurance (after a long battle) is going to cover me on the diminished value of the vehicle. I might pick up my United Gray Package #1 today. Wish me good luck.

MarkVGTI

Go Kart Newbie
I think you have the right idea. Privately selling a car is always a pain in the ass so if the dealership is going to give you 27K i say go for it. And like someone said, the car will never seem the same to you. The GTI is a damn nice car...so its just depends on weather or not you want to go from a G35 to a GTI.

jeff_faye_lo

Autocross Newbie
G35 has alot more torque, HP, and room than the GTi.

you will have a hard time adjusting it.

having said that Gti is a very nice car at its price range.

if i were you, I would consider A3 or A4 2.0T as well.