GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

1st Drives

fastgolfer

Ready to race!
You've either taken delivery of your pride and joy or you are planning to soon....

Tell us:

- where did / would you take your GTI for it's first drive?
- how many days / hours / weeks (!) did it take / would it take for you to consider it now "run in".

"Run in" could be the old technical term according to the manual, or perhaps when you considered you were / are now at home with car :smile:

gjbello

Ready to race!
the guys on the forum tell me the gtis are already run in at the factory. ive had my gti now for a lil over 2 weeks, and only now am i getting accustomed to the power!

my first drive was on a freeway, but the first time i ever felt her real power was taking her to king lake - hilly and windy roads. there was a mk4 r32 id been tailing for a few kms and couldnt overtake coz of solid lines on the road.

once we got to the hills (became two lanes, right being the overtaking lane), the cheaky old r32 took the right overtaking lane. so i took the left and blew it away!! 150kms+ going up hill while the engine still wants to give you more is awesome!! seeing the guys face hide how impressed he was was good too ;)

qik_shift

Ready to race!
gjbello,

Great story!

Reading these stories seriously wants me to get my car yesterday.

I'll make sure to ask my dealer when I collect the car what run-in procedures they recommend.

ozabyss

Go Kart Newbie
Pick it up tomorrow. Doubt I will be home for a few hours...lol

Saturday, off to Melany,1 hour north of brisbane

Sunday off to Towoomba, 2 hours west for family commitment. The car is likely to have 1000km on it within 3 days...lol

:burnrubber: :burnrubber: :burnrubber: :burnrubber: :burnrubber:

fastgolfer

Ready to race!
it is a delicious story - the MK V GTI comfortably pulling away up a hill from the MK IV R32. Is the GTI really that good? Seems like it and i'll find out for sure when I collect this weekend.

Having owned a new VR6 previously ('96 Dragon Green 5speed) the narrow-angle V6 is very addictive. That 2-valve engine put out "only" 128kW but it was great.

If the GTI performs like that then maybe the 147kW 4-pot will be equally addictive....