GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

First DSLR need advice.

JhnR

Banned
So, im planning to get some money and get myself a digital camera.

This is my first DSLR and i need some opinions with whats the best camera to start with. What is the difference between the lens kit, etc.

So anyone with more experience, please advise.

TIA.:thumbsup:

Msteadman

Go Kart Champion
He didn't get many responses, but check out this thread if you haven't already. :thumbsup:

Msteadman

Go Kart Champion
^ Yea, even with the amount of DSLR owners on here, it doesn't seem like the best place to ask as almost no one chimes in.

Check out this thread as well. The sites I listed are very good starting points for any camera purchase.
This one also. Like any site they can be a bit biased, but their reviews are great IMO.

heftylefty

golfmkv elitist -_-
what kind of price range are we looking at? do you wanna buy new or used? you can get some GREAT used camera right now(ie nikon d200/d300) and they are way better than the entry level dslr's. kit lenses vary alot, but i always suggest buying the dslr body then a different lens, you almost always get a better deal that way.

do you have any brand preferences?

Mr645

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'08 R32
Your probably best off starting with the Canon Rebel, or if there is a little more budget, the new 50D or Nikon D300. If you plan on growing with your photography, stick with Canon or Nikon. Sony, Pentax, Samsung etc. make DSLR's but in all honesty, it's like it would be like buying a computer and not getting a Mac or Windows machine. The kit lens is good enough to learn with and as your discover limitations, then consider additional lenses that do things you want you want to do with the camera.

Red Sauce

Passed Driver's Ed
I just got a nikon d40x and for the price I love it, always used film SLRs and parents bought the camera for a birthday gift, what questions do you have about slrs?

JhnR

Banned
nikon or canon, i dont know whats better between them, i wanted an XTi, but i mean im open to suggestions.

and i think a used one will be just fine.

SoNgMaN

I Void Warranties
Car(s)
2010 4dr UG TDI HL
start with a prosumer body. hell get a used one. XT, XTi not sure the nikon body model numbers but stay away from the d40 if you want to actually learn things. it's very limited in functions.

the kits they sell usually include a relativly weak lens the canon 18-55 isn't all that great. they have a new 18-55 IS on the XSi but it's not that much better. getting into SLRs isn't really about buying the body, more money will be spent on the glass.

JhnR

Banned
start with a prosumer body. hell get a used one. XT, XTi not sure the nikon body model numbers but stay away from the d40 if you want to actually learn things. it's very limited in functions.

the kits they sell usually include a relativly weak lens the canon 18-55 isn't all that great. they have a new 18-55 IS on the XSi but it's not that much better. getting into SLRs isn't really about buying the body, more money will be spent on the glass.

Ok so if i get the XTi, what is the best lens kit?

how do i achieve that round oval look?