GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2001 Maxima

Stasis

E-Thug
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Driving on a 2 lane highway with my ex-gf last night a 2001 Maxima with 2 younger guys decides to ride up my ass on a nice long curved stretch where there are no other cars, so I ask permission, and get the green light from the ex. I pushed up speed and he couldn't keep up... maybe he didn't feel comfortable in the curve. My light was up and I went to take a left, but the road was wide open and he was in the right lane at the light. My ex looks at me and says: "No! Go get him, take him from the light!" I was surprised, and I obliged. Light turns green and we did an all out 0-100 before the next light. I know the newer ones are a lot faster, but this thing is still a 222hp V6 and the guy seemed quite confident he could take me. He looked over smiling and laughing with a sort of arrogant face. I had a nice 4 lengths on him by the time I shut down, and he decided to fly by me and go through the green light at speed. I turned right.

While I don't usually love racing in areas where there are lights, I figured it was fine due to the lack of any cars on this nice straight stretch. The problem was that he didn't accept the loss apparently, and did something stupid and dangerous to prove a silly point. I can't help but think that I would have been somewhat responsible had something happened. So while this post is to say that A) That car poses no challenge, it's also to say that B) No matter how safe you are, it's not always right to provoke the other idiot into racing.

Careful out there, I learned a lesson.

S

gCHOW

Autocross Newbie
nice kill!! :thumbsup:

i know what you mean, there are a lot of dumb drivers down here in LA that think they're invincible. we never wanna see anything happen to anyone, but some people are just like asking for it.

worst part is... if nothing ever happens, they just keep driving like idiots.

L-Dub

Go Kart Newbie
Cool story.

I was going to bust your balls about the asking permission from the ex, but then all of a sudden a light went off in my head (God is that you?). Whenever I'm in my car and driving a little fast or recklessly, my wife starts yelling at me to stop and I never understood why until right now. Thank you.

I hope that light goes off in other people's heads as only you can control your actions and if you don't, I hope you're ready for the consequences.

This post wasn't directed at anyone in particular, and people will do what they want. I just thought I'd share how this story affected me.

Stasis

E-Thug
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I know my guy friends don't care if I race, in fact, most of them love it and keep asking me to go at it. Seems a lot of people are surprised and impressed with the performance this car has. It's not even that it's balls out amazing, but it's unexpected I guess.

Female passengers however, I always ask permission. Some like it, some don't, and the last thing I wanna do is scare them. There will always be other opportunities to go nuts. When it comes to my ex, it's amplified by the fact that I'm trying to win her back =) The last thing I wanna do is piss her off and remind her of the silly things I used to do. She gets annoyed when I talk cars too much, or when I get too into it. What really surprised me (and contributed to my "why I want her back" list) is that she absolutely loves this car (continously asks me to drive, something she never did with the old car) and actually told ME to go back and go after the Maxima.

S

L-Dub

Go Kart Newbie
I hope all works out with the ex, but remember not to be too nice :wink: . In my experience the nicer you are, the more they want to be just friends :iono:

Just be yourself and all will work out the way it is meant to.

LiquidG

Touring Car Champion
killed the last model maxima not even competition for my gti. 6 car lengths at 100 km/h

Stasis

E-Thug
Car(s)
MKV GTI
L-Dub said:
I hope all works out with the ex, but remember not to be too nice :wink: . In my experience the nicer you are, the more they want to be just friends :iono:

Just be yourself and all will work out the way it is meant to.

We're beyond friend territory... there's no way either of us would be able to hear about the other dating someone new, ever. As to being too nice, that's good advice, and something I'm trying to do. Knowing me though, I doubt I could ever be too nice, I'm too much of a little prick most of the time. I'm just trying to be the way I was when we first started, instead of the way I became :laugh:

If we get back together, I'll try to convince her to let me take hot pics of her with the GTI and post them here =P

S