GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

whats a good starting camera ?

sloppyGTI

Silly Rabit
Car(s)
2019 VW gti autobahn
my bday is comming up and my parents decided to get me a camera so ive been shopping around and looking at diffrent models and seeing whats available

so my question is to you guys and gals what would be a pretty good DSLR starting camera to go with something that will last me a lil while and still be fun and easy to use?

they dont wanna spend alot of money and most of the ones i have been looking at are lower then 500 ..

thanks for the help ..

Meat

rack rack 'em
Car(s)
2007 GTI [DSG]
I am happy with my Nikon D40x. I've heard people say to go for a used D60 instead, but I'm still learning about the strengths and weaknesses of each camera in Nikon's line so I can't really give you a judgement on that. All I can attest to is that I'm having success with my equipment and I'm finding it easy to learn and use. As I was told, it's a good starter DSLR.

max2evoix

Ready to race!
Car(s)
06 evo ix/09 gti mkv
the nokia n95-3 red limited..5 megapixels and its a phone :thumbsup:
this is what i have

maionnaise

go big or go home
Car(s)
MkV
you can find the canon XTi for pretty cheap now, I'm a canon guy so I HIGHLY recommend that, unless you want to get the newer XSI but its pretty expensive compared to the very comparable xti, I'm one of the sales managers at best buy and we've blown through a ton of them because of how cheap you can get em... but just my 2cents

sloppyGTI

Silly Rabit
Car(s)
2019 VW gti autobahn
thats one of the cameras ive been looking at ..

Semparatus

3.2 Liters of Win
Car(s)
2008 BMP .:R32
I can also vouch for the Rebel series; I love my XT. However if you go with a Rebel XT (rather than XTi) be prepared to be dissapointed with the screen.

Want an XSi so bad... :drool:

sik tl

Ready to race!
Canon Rebel XT, but if you can pick up the XSi. Me and the wife just picked up one with a bundle package (extra lens, battery, and bag):thumbsup:

Ducky 2.0T

Ready to race!
Best thing to do is go to a camera shop and play around with the cameras as they all seem to be inherently different both in function and feel. I owned a XTI for a few months and then traded up to a 40D because I liked the larger size and feel. My dad hates the 40D and he likes the compactness of the XTI.

Next, since you mentioned "a long time" decide which camera system you want to buy into. There is a saying, "Bodies come and go, but glass lasts forever." Eventually you will grow out of your camera body, but hopefully your lenses will still be useful down the road. Over time you will be spending much more money on the lenses then you do initially for your camera as your needs grow. Keep this in mind. You can always sell everything, but it's much cheaper to change in and out parts as you go then have to start over and learn new buttons and camera tendencies.

I went with Canon because a few of my friends and my dad have them, so I have a large selection of lenses to play around with. I also like the lens selection and variety of Canon. They always seem to be on the cutting edge with Nikon (arguably) right there or just behind.

Cheers

sik tl

Ready to race!
is it supposed to mean something? :biggrin:

the options and reviews and price got me. This was an early b-day present for both of us. Also I just found out that it is the official camera of the NFL:biggrin: