GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

About euro ride height

KharatosGTI

Rally Car Newbie
Added proposal: we need one european model owner go grab a tape measurer and measure the wheel gap from the top edge of the wheel well to the top edge of your rim on a leveled ground (NOT the edge of your tire, since people might have different pressures inside their tires), then same for one with a US model. We can then come back and compare the differences. I'd do it, but I don't have a tape measurer.

Are we certain that the euro version is only 0.5 inch lower? Because compare these two pictures, one is with H&R sports which is supposed to lower 1.5 inches but it looks like the wheel gap is the same as this other picture of an euro GTI stock with 17" wheels? :confused:

I changed the photo, still looks about the same to me

And for comparison's sake, US GTI with 18":

Euro version (Car is from South Africa, I believe) with the same wheels:

Now, it'd be a lot easier if the MKV GTI had a rubbish suspension to begin with - just replace the entire suspension. But that's not the case this time around, the stock suspensions are so carefully and beautifully tuned that I cringe to think of messing up the perfect balance of ride comfort/handling capability. So far it seems like replacing the springs with euro ones is the way to go, but it has to be assured that it will indeed look like one of these photos, because if it DOES, then I really think the drop is more than a mere 0.5 inches indicated by the official sources.

Last edited:

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I too would like to know what the ride hieght actually is. I want to lower my car because I hate the U.S. ride height. If the differance is only .5" then it would be a waste to buy them.

LivEToDrivE

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Once you upgrade suspension too for handling, then the ride difference is gonna sit lower anyways, so just give yourself handling as an incentive to the mod

vdubGTi

Oval Newbie
Damn, finally someone brought this question up. I have been thinking about this at all the time and was trying to do some math shiet from a picture. U know take a ruler and measure them up and them scale them up and down all that stuff.lol.j/k. But this and the navigation system is the only thing that has been bothering me a lot and haven't found much answers. But Kharatos it seems like the euro GTI is much lower than .5 cus I had a friend that came here from swiss and him seeing both he said that our GTI for some reason looks very different and he noticed that our GTI's ride height is much higher from a euro one. So a very good thread.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I like the stock ride feel. That is why I would like to go with the Euro springs if posable. Otherwise I might go with the Eibach ProKit. It lowers the car 1.3" I think. So I think that means it drops the car a bit over 0.5" lower than the euro GTI...so you might be able to use the stock shocks. Not sure. I could be completely wrong on this.

GTI 2.0T

Rally Car Champion
Car(s)
mkv GTI
The GTI in the first pic is noticably lower than the Euro GTI, I should know because i have a Euro spec GTI...I think that the GTI in the 2nd pic looks lower beacause it appears to be braking.

I'm no Physics Major or anything, but dependning on how fast that car is going also lowers the car. The wind speed at the time too. The wind will push down on the car, that's why we have Spoilers. Also, there is a person in the car.

ALSO, WHICH ONE IS THE ONE WITH THE H&R? They both are stock 17s.

feuerdog

Touring Car Newbie
It takes time and mileage for a suspension to "settle". The car with the H&R springs has not quite "settled" yet. It'll probably drop another 1/4" over time.
It takes several weeks.

The H&R sports are lower than OEM euro.:thumbsup:

KharatosGTI

Rally Car Newbie
I changed the photo, it's no longer a photo of the car in motion. It's sitting still and even facing the same direction as the first picture.

My question still stands. I gotta figure this out because the euro version has the perfect wheel gap for me.

Shovels

Touring Car Newbie
You can definetly feel the lower height of the vehicle, especially on the older roads - 15mm sure makes a difference especially here on the country roads....my left wing has already scrapes on the wing (trees) and as for the central green reservation...it does not feed on grass :iono:

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Can someone with the euro spec GTI please either measure the gap or give us some specs please!!!! I am begging you.

GTI 2.0T

Rally Car Champion
Car(s)
mkv GTI
KharatosGTI said:
Added proposal: we need one european model owner go grab a tape measurer and measure the wheel gap from the top edge of the wheel well to the top edge of your rim on a leveled ground (NOT the edge of your tire, since people might have different pressures inside their tires), then same for one with a US model. We can then come back and compare the differences. I'd do it, but I don't have a tape measurer.

I'll try to post pix tomorrow guys.. i'll try my best:smile: