GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MKV GTI vs. Radar

Bundy

Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts
I did a little test video to see what I could learn about the assumption of the speedo being 5 mph off. I found one of those Police Radar things and did 2 passes. This is not the most technical experiment, and when I call out the speed and looked at the radar I accidentally decreased my speed.... so, from the results that I got, I have no reason to believe that the speedo is 5 mph off.

http://www.dfalsetti.com/videos/radarspeed.avi

trevor

Southeast Forum Dictator
Car(s)
Subaru WRX STI
why dont you go to a track and see what your speedo says when you trap and what you get on the timeslip

Bundy

Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts
Yeah that's what I heard... the higher you go the more inaccurate... I did this because I made another video showing the 0-60 time of an APR stage 1 car (http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5824). A few people said I would actually have to go to 65mph to get an accurate reading. I didn't believe that so I made this.

jkaruzas

Autocross Champion
errorini said:
It's not "5 miles off", as you increase your speed it becomes more inaccurate. At 40 it should be accurate. Try doing it at 80+ that's when you'll see it not match up.

the speedo is off by 10%. not really noticable until about 50 or so. what sucks is that at the governed limit of 140, yo're really only going 126. well, i guess 120+ is still pretty good fun!!

rickyC

Go Team Venture!
Car(s)
06 GTI Reflex Silver
I noticed the same thing on the drive home from the Dealership. My wife was in our other car and we were on the cell phones. My car said 80 hers said 70. Makes me wonder. Its impressive when a passenger is in the car and they have no clue ;) Just keep driving!

bcaciopp

A smile every mile.
So we are always going slower than we think... bah... As a result, does our odometers not add the actual milage that we are traveling?