GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Autocrossing Today, Advice?

UngerDikran

Do I Have A Hand?
Car(s)
GTI MKV 08
Is there any advice any professional auto-x'ers can provide that can help me out on my first time doing it?

Which gear you usually remain in, how to take a turn correctly, anything in layman's terms that can help me out?

much appreciated

leegf

(OO=[][]=OO)
i'm not a professional by any means, but i'll try.

2nd gear, brake earlier rather than later, look ahead, slow hands, walk the course a couple times, listen to your instructor(s).

above all, go out there and have a great time. you'll enjoy yourself.

UngerDikran

Do I Have A Hand?
Car(s)
GTI MKV 08
thanks man, will do

keisuke_z

No way as way...
shuffle steer and look ahead!

easy on the gas the first few runs until you get a feel for how the turn-in is... and then how you can use the throttle to improve turn-in...

If you have a dsg dont use sport mode, use the tiptronic mode. Look ahead and take the time to learn the course. Take a instructor with you for as long as you need one. Most importantly have fun.

Raddicted

Perfectly insane
Learn the course, look ahead not down the hood, and feed the wheel.

And don't hit the cones.

UngerDikran

Do I Have A Hand?
Car(s)
GTI MKV 08
ok I just came back from the event, and I have to say I did REALLY well for my first time.

To answer jhnr's Q i went to California speedway in Fontana, the people were really nice and it was an awesome experience.

I have a manual, so basically what I did was speed up on the first turn, drop to second, and keep it in second all the way through. I found that down-shifting to first lost me a couple of seconds, especially when I messed up while doing it.

I started off doing 65 second laps, but by the end of the day i hit 48.300!

just for comparison, miata's with suspension mods were doing 42's, and e36 m3's and porche cayman's were doing around 45-47.

I think I did the VDub community proud!

Uh-oh. The bug is biting, digging it's insidious hooks in deeper even as we speak.

Thats a good thing. I'm not from cali, but most scca autox events are anywhere from $30( for members) to $45 for non.

Meat

rack rack 'em
Car(s)
2007 GTI [DSG]
Yes, autocrossing (entry at least) is cheap as hell compared to track driving.

Autocross: 4-8 minutes of driving, $30-$45
Track weekend: 3-4 hours of driving, $270-$500

That isn't including the cost of things like helmet, fuel, brake pads, tires, fluids, etc.

2fst4u

haldex is glue to you
Car(s)
'08 VW .:R32
Ran for the first time at Waterfest. Best run was a 40.17 with an .:R32. AWD in tiptronic mode FTW!!! Best dude's time that day was with a 4.2L V8 Audi S4 6 speed at 39. something sec. Not bad that I was only a ~sec. slower! Now, about those tires.................ha ha ha HA!