GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Body Kits

ton32581tran

Ready to race!
Hey everyone, I need some advice about adding some mods to my GTI. I'm totally new to "modding" cars, I've mostly driven trucks and wasn't concerned the least about the looks. But now, with my GTI, the first car I've bought on my own, I guess I take more pride in it and want to make it look nice. I'm a newbie to this stuff and want just some subtle mods like side skirts, fron bumper valance, rear bumper, etc. Nothing "Fast and Furious", just a few touches here and there to give it some flair. Any ideas, resources, sites, good prices? Should I just go with the OEM body kit thats like 1400? Seems pretty expensive to me though.

Gtiguy182

Clean MKV Owner
Everyone has different tastes....Theirs people who do bodywork and make their car looking sweet...theirs people who put money in to the engine and exhaust to make their car very FAST...and people who put a soundsystem in it...and finally the people who dont do shit to their cars and are happy with it...

GTIHalifax

Passed Driver's Ed
I added the little GTI Valve Stem caps that you can order from the DriverGear website. That's the extent of what I've done so far.

Although, I'm thinking about getting the boost gauge that mounts above the steering wheel that you can order from ECS tuning. It looks really cool ... even though I have no clue what the gauge indicates (I don't know anything about cars ... just know I have a good one). I would also like to get the blow-off valve to make my engine louder. And despite what some other people think, I like the look of the golf-ball shift knob. Might get that too.

I think subtle changes are the coolest.

bonzgti

Cause you don't know
Although, I'm thinking about getting the boost gauge that mounts above the steering wheel that you can order from ECS tuning. It looks really cool ... even though I have no clue what the gauge indicates (I don't know anything about cars ... just know I have a good one). I would also like to get the blow-off valve to make my engine louder. And despite what some other people think, I like the look of the golf-ball shift knob. Might get that too

1-boost is the air pressure that your turbo puts out. the turbo makes the car go faster essentially. 14.7 pounds of boost is one atmospheric "bar"
2-the blow off valve will not make your engine louder, it just emits a high pitched psshhh (if you will) when you let off the throttle. a diverter valve is a better mechanism becuase it redirects the air back into the engine, as opposed to the atmosphere (such a a BOV would do)

i just wanted to say these things. i'm not trying to talk you out of anything.:headbang:

Teknophreak

Rally Car Champion
bonzgti said:
2-the blow off valve will not make your engine louder, it just emits a high pitched psshhh (if you will) when you let off the throttle.

FWIW, the engine already makes this sound. You can hear it when your windows are down. (especially driving past buildings) It's not loud, but it sounds cool. A friend of mine has a WRX with a BOV and it sounds like a Mack truck. Not a good sound, IMHO.

tmrakip

Dog is my co-pilot
If I were to get a body kit (undecided) I would go for the VW one, only one I like that's out there.

GTIHalifax

Passed Driver's Ed
bonzgti said:
1-boost is the air pressure that your turbo puts out. the turbo makes the car go faster essentially. 14.7 pounds of boost is one atmospheric "bar"
2-the blow off valve will not make your engine louder, it just emits a high pitched psshhh (if you will) when you let off the throttle. a diverter valve is a better mechanism becuase it redirects the air back into the engine, as opposed to the atmosphere (such a a BOV would do)

i just wanted to say these things. i'm not trying to talk you out of anything.:headbang:

Cool! Thanks for the info. I didn't know that about the valve.

I still think the gauge is a cool idea. I might get that just for the pure show of it. Incidentally, will installing something like that void my warranty? It seems pretty harmless.

pizan619

Ready to race!
1300 for a full body kit is not too bad at all especially since it is coming from VW.

If you go to check out oettinger's products then you will be in for surprise.

Their front bumper for the GTI is 1026 alone, the sides and the rear are in the 500 range.
Of course this company is of the highest quality and reputation

bonzgti

Cause you don't know
installing a boost guage will void nothing.. its just a guage. it doesn't increase performance or anything of the sort.. it's just kinda a good idea to have to make sure you don't get turbo "spike". i say go for it.. i am but im getting the one that goes in the drivers side air vent.

ton32581tran

Ready to race!
so about 1400 is a fair price?

Thanks for the opinions, I have no clue about how much these things should cost. I do like the factory kit, just wasnt sure if it was a rip off or not. I think I'll probably just add that then. Thanks.