GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rate my track setup

ETADRAFT

Wannabe Racer
Car(s)
08 GTI
This ones for all you track veterans. This is my current setup for my first HPDE in my 08 GTI...

-Sumitomo HTR Z II ($77 supercheep) tires:thumbsup:
-Stock rotors
-Hawk HP+ front & rear
-SS brake lines
-Pentosin brake fluid
-APR stage 2 w/93 & 100+ programs
-Neuspeed CAI
-ATP 3" DP no cat w/ stock exhaust
-short shifter
-stock suspension (i want to see how it handles before i mod)

Let me know what you think. Ive never run w/ NASA before only w/ SCDA. what should i expect? how much track time? thanks

Meat

rack rack 'em
Car(s)
2007 GTI [DSG]
The tires aren't terrible. I tracked on all seasons my first two events. You learn more from bad tires than you do from stickier compounds that tend to mask mistakes and bad habits. Any summer tire will usually be fine for a while. Get a few events under your belt before thinking about tires, the ones you have may even work for you until they're corded.

Your pads will be okay for a while but you may experience some fade later into the sessions. Same with your fluid, I would bring an extra bottle or two just in case you boil it.

It's a smart move to learn on a stock suspension. You are totally correct in saying that you want to get some track time before modifying the suspension. I would advise anyone to first invenst in tires and brakes, then in seat time, then in suspension and power upgrades.

NASA is great to run with. I assume you are running with NASA NE? Where are you going and when? I have run with NASA SE a few times and they are great. It's a good community atmosphere with good instruction. You will usually get 4 20-25 minute sessions each day which is a pretty fair amount of time and seems to be the standard. You will have fun and learn a lot.

I noticed you're in Waldwick, I'm right next door in Midland Park. Glad to see someone so local is on these boards, not to mention is interested in track time! If you have any questions just ask :thumbsup:

mikeb748

Passed Driver's Ed
I think everything you have listed is completely fine. FWIW, I use RA1's and will soon be going back to street tires.

ETADRAFT

Wannabe Racer
Car(s)
08 GTI
The tires aren't terrible. I tracked on all seasons my first two events. You learn more from bad tires than you do from stickier compounds that tend to mask mistakes and bad habits. Any summer tire will usually be fine for a while. Get a few events under your belt before thinking about tires, the ones you have may even work for you until they're corded.

Your pads will be okay for a while but you may experience some fade later into the sessions. Same with your fluid, I would bring an extra bottle or two just in case you boil it.

It's a smart move to learn on a stock suspension. You are totally correct in saying that you want to get some track time before modifying the suspension. I would advise anyone to first invenst in tires and brakes, then in seat time, then in suspension and power upgrades.

NASA is great to run with. I assume you are running with NASA NE? Where are you going and when? I have run with NASA SE a few times and they are great. It's a good community atmosphere with good instruction. You will usually get 4 20-25 minute sessions each day which is a pretty fair amount of time and seems to be the standard. You will have fun and learn a lot.

I noticed you're in Waldwick, I'm right next door in Midland Park. Glad to see someone so local is on these boards, not to mention is interested in track time! If you have any questions just ask :thumbsup:

These tires will have to do for now. I'm on a "negative" budget. They are cheep but traction rated @AA w/ treadwear of 220, very similar to some of those expensive tires.

i'll definitly bring extra fluid. After watching a guy crash his Noble into the wall at NHIS due to his brakes boiling. I have speedbleeders so it will be easy to freshin up after a hot run.

i used to run a 04 GTI with a weitech suspension & mintex pad w/ some cheep republic tires. No engine mods. and i was keepin up with 911's & vettes in the turnes. I'll stay with stock suspension for now & see how bad the role is. I've checked out you video's on youtube. your car stays super flat with the ps9's & rear sway. i'll probably head that direction as well

I saw you were from midland park. i keep waitin to see you drivin around. I'm in waldwick just about every day.

I'm running in the pocono NASA event next sunday 20th. First time there i cant wait. it sounds like NASA is very similar to SCDA with the run time. i signed up for run group 1 even though i was cleared in SCDA for intermediate.

Meat

rack rack 'em
Car(s)
2007 GTI [DSG]
RSB is helpful, but not necessary.

ETADRAFT- do you live in Waldwick or work there? I don't drive around too too much, only usually driving around in the afternoons after work and such, I don't frequent Waldwick too much though. I used to be there everyday when I wrestled and played football for Waldwick HS, but haven't been around so much after I graduated.

ETADRAFT

Wannabe Racer
Car(s)
08 GTI
RSB is helpful, but not necessary.

ETADRAFT- do you live in Waldwick or work there? I don't drive around too too much, only usually driving around in the afternoons after work and such, I don't frequent Waldwick too much though. I used to be there everyday when I wrestled and played football for Waldwick HS, but haven't been around so much after I graduated.

I currently live in hawthorne but i go to the gym in waldwick so i'm usually cruzin thru there @5-6pm every night. i graduated from waldwick back in 95, when where you there?

mikeb748

Passed Driver's Ed
Learn how to drive the car in stock form as possible. Modifications dont make you a faster/better driver. FWIW, I was at VIR in early June with my Integra Type-R (street trim) and was passing H2 (Honda Challenge Car 1 being the highest, 5 being the lowest) cars in my street trim car. On the flipside, I was being passed by an H4 1992 Honda Accord Coupe.

ETADRAFT

Wannabe Racer
Car(s)
08 GTI
I had a similar experience at NHIS. I was passing cars that i didnt expect to be able to even keep up with and all of us were being lapped several times by a spec miata. Really shows how handling & driver ability is so much more important than horsepower. Cant wait to see what the new GTI will do...

Meat

rack rack 'em
Car(s)
2007 GTI [DSG]
Learn how to drive the car in stock form as possible. Modifications dont make you a faster/better driver. FWIW, I was at VIR in early June with my Integra Type-R (street trim) and was passing H2 (Honda Challenge Car 1 being the highest, 5 being the lowest) cars in my street trim car. On the flipside, I was being passed by an H4 1992 Honda Accord Coupe.

Was this at the ITR Expo?

Meat

rack rack 'em
Car(s)
2007 GTI [DSG]
I currently live in hawthorne but i go to the gym in waldwick so i'm usually cruzin thru there @5-6pm every night. i graduated from waldwick back in 95, when where you there?

I went ot Midland Park HS, class of 2007. I wrestled for Waldwick from 2003 to 2007 and played football for Waldwick once we combined teams in 2006.