GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rear Cup holder?

errorini

Oval Newbie
I get into my car today and notice the rear cup holder is open. I go to close it and the clip part litarally falls off before it even starts moving up. I climb in the back and try to set it back in, but the door part seems to be jacked and the right side seems to be detatched, but that part is in an encloser I can't get into.

Not sure how this happened, last time someone was in my back seat was weeks ago, and I used the cupholder last week when I was bringing dinner home to the family. Could the weight of the drinks unclipped it? Anyone know if I can detach that whole piece easily so I can put it back together, or should I let VW do it when I go to change my oil?

Edit: Hm, according to the DIY on vwvortex for the euro cup installation, I can do it easily with a torx 20 and it's just 2 easy screws. Of course my torx only go up to 15. Time to hunt in the garage. D:

Last edited:

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
After you undo those two screws there are two tabs on the inner sides of the part you are removing. You need to use a flat head to pry them out a bit so you can pop out the cup holder part.

errorini

Oval Newbie
Yeah, I ended up take the screws out and seeing those tabs, but at that point I didn't want to go back inside to get a flat blade. So I just examined the cupholder a bit more and used a bit of force and got all the clips to finally connect right.