GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Why don´t we call this site just the MKV

rica_roel

Rally Car Newbie
lets forget the golf thing or the jetta´s, Like I wrote in one thread I would take the GTI instead of the GLI, but I have my needs so I choose a trunk, I feel like everyone is against the jetta GLI form, because if they are made in wolfsburg and the GLI is made in puebla and if they have more heritage, come on they have a wonderful control quality in any plant of the world, and is almost the same car. same angine, same platform, same brakes, same interior, same chasis, same front, grill, headlights, wheels, suspension, etc.

what do you say¡¡¡¡¡¡

Cheers

Ricardo

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
rica_roel said:
lets forget the golf thing or the jetta´s, Like I wrote in one thread I would take the GTI instead of the GLI, but I have my needs so I choose a trunk, I feel like everyone is against the jetta GLI form, because if they are made in wolfsburg and the GLI is made in puebla and if they have more heritage, come on they have a wonderful control quality in any plant of the world, and is almost the same car. same angine, same platform, same brakes, same interior, same chasis, same front, grill, headlights, wheels, suspension, etc. what do you say¡¡¡¡¡¡ Ricardo

This entire Forum is for Golf and GTI folks. There are other forums for the overall VW and Jetta folks.

It is not meant to belittle the Jetta. It is just a forum for the Golf/GTI and is not for the Jetta.

The cars have much in common, but, I suspect, the buyers do not.

NorthGTI said:
The cars have much in common, but, I suspect, the buyers do not.

well said.
as i like both cars due to there similarities...
the mind set is much different,
people with the trunk say they get more space and people with the hatch know they get more space.
there has been alot of back and forth discussion/argument on this topic,
and i apologize for that.
for me when at least... when i see someone with a VW of any sort i think "right on good choice on the make" imo i like hatchbacks and in this case the GTI

some say the GTI drives, sounds, and maybe a few things better.
to each his own...

Bouston

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Car(s)
2006 Subaru STI
You can't blame the guy for wanting to be a part of such a cool forum. Rica roel just because you own a GLI dosen't mean you can't contirbute to the forum. Like you said before the GTI & GLI have so much in common. Just don't mention the word "trunk" and you'll be fine :biggrin:

GTT

Touring Car Champion
The Jetta GLI belongs with the GTI.
The GLI is quite removed from being a Jetta and has more in common with the GTI.
And, the Golf merely lends it's platform to the GTI as it too is quite removed from a GTI.
So, if you include a Golf in a GTI forum then it stands to reason that a GLI would be included.
Afterall, the GLI and GTI share drivetrains which means they share much of what makes them perform.

I'm all for including the GLI. It's pretty much the sedan version. In the US we get GLI, GTI 3 door, and soon the 5 door. Nothing wrong with the GLI being included.

TT

91ABAGTi

Passed Driver's Ed
I suspect the creator of this awesome website intended for it to be GTi exclusive based on all the reviews/videos/pics here. I also think he probably named it accordingly. I personally think it's cool having this very focused forum versus the broader based vwvortex. $0.02

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
The vwvortex forum gives you a headache trying to find stuff. Nothing is grouped. Why not just make seperate areas for GTI, Golf, and GLI on this forum. Many sites do that with the generations of cars. I also feel there needs to be an exterior/interior tread area. A place where you can talk about body kits and detailing or new interior items. As far as I am concerned he can stay. I am still on the clubcivic.com site as are guys who drive STI's and mustangs. Let him enjoy this site.

newtogolf

is the jetta the follow up to the bora, which is the follow up to the vento

GTI2007

newtogolf said:
is the jetta the follow up to the bora, which is the follow up to the vento

The first 2 generations of the Jetta were also called Jetta here in Europe. For the third generation the names changed from Jetta to Vento and for the fourth generation it changed to Bora. Now for the fifth generation the Bora got back to her original name and became a Jetta again

The generations of the Jetta are the following:

Jetta I (Jetta)
Jetta II (Jetta)
Jetta III (Vento)
Jetta IV (Bora)
Jetta V (Jetta)

The red ones are the European modelnames

cmdrfire

Jetta is just a Golf V with an elongated trunk. The MkV Jetta was designed for the US since the hatchback isn't too popular over there (hence why they get Jetta first before Golf).

I'm pleased that VW Europe went back to the Jetta name, it's nicer than "Bora" I think.

I imagine this forum is mainly for Golf owners, though there's no reason you can't contribute of course. I don't think there'll be seperate sections for Jetta/GLI etc as, well, they're not Golfs. Maybe Golf family, but still not the quirky little car that's won the heart of so many!

newtogolf

Jetta is a nice car. but i think for under £1k more (in the UK that is) saloon lovers are better off getting a Passat. new passat is really nice i think.

or for £2.5k cheaper, better off getting a golf.