GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Buying a GTI now - what's the best way?

grdr

Go Kart Newbie
I am ready to buy. should I use Edmunds, some other net service or call / write the dealers? Should I get a Consumer Reports print out? I live in Houston, TX

Thanks in advance!!!!

Plyngntrffc

FIA GT Newbie
Car(s)
2006 VW GTI
go to vw.com, find the dealers in your area, look at their inventory, see the dealer which has closest to what you want to buy, go there, and sign the papers...

L-Dub

Go Kart Newbie
Plyngntrffc said:
go to vw.com, find the dealers in your area, look at their inventory, see the dealer which has closest to what you want to buy, go there, and sign the papers...

Before you go in to sign the papers, get a internet quote for the car you want. You can do this through the dealer's website. Then you can go there and sign the papers.

dpham00

Modérateur Emeritus
get a bunch of written quotes from dealers and keep pushing the price down until you're happy with it.

grdr

Go Kart Newbie
Just found out that the 0% for 36 months only applies to 2006 GTIs. Does anyone have a clue what incentives might be available after September 5th when the current 0% APR runs out. Any chance they may continue it?

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Only your dealer(s) might know what incentives are coming up. Here in my area Credit Unions have good APR rates, but you have to be a member.

I do the 3 some... get 3 quotes from different dealers before I settle with the best. And I also would pay $500 more for the car if I knew the dealership provided excellent sales/service vs the others that didn't. "Been there done that."

KEY: Do your home work before you go!

grdr

Go Kart Newbie
Hi and thanks for the reponse. Actually, I have planned to pay cash for my new GTI and because of that we won't have enough in our special car account until next February. However, the 0% made it possible to move now. So, if I do end up waiting and getting the three quotes you recommended would you asked the dealers directly for them or would you go through a site like Edmunds to get the quotes? thanks in advance

thomaschh

Banned
Plyngntrffc said:

That is the WORST advice I've ever heard.

Here's what I did and I got mine way below invoice ($25,000 out the door - including all taxes and fees - for package one with Huffs and warranty extension):

Once you've decided you definitely want one call up several local dealers near the end of the month and ask them what their best price is. Tell them you aren't going to waste their time (or your's) driving all over the place to several dealers getting quotes. Some will be hesitant to give you a price but if you're insistant they will. Once you've called them all go back and call the two with the higher prices and tell them the offer of the lowest one (BUT Don't TELL THEM WHAT DEALER IT WAS!). They'll probably tell you if you come in they'll beat it. Once you go in and get their price, go outside and call back the original dealer with the lowest quote and see if they can beat the new low bid. If not, buy it where you are. If so, leave and go to the other dealer.

Make sense? I've done this several times and it always works. If you talk to decent sales reps they'll even urge you to buy the car at another dealer if they can't beat their price. :thumbsup:

Good luck!

Tom

grdr

Go Kart Newbie
Tom,

That's great advice and I appreciate it. It's easier said than done but I think I can do it. The problem I fight is now that I've decided it's definitely a GTI I want it so badly it's hard to stay cool, calm and collected. Plus, salesmen know every trick in the book. I feel like a fish in shark infested waters. Interestingly, no one yet has suggested one of the internet buying sites. Are they really not very good? George

L-Dub

Go Kart Newbie
grdr said:
Tom,

That's great advice and I appreciate it. It's easier said than done but I think I can do it. The problem I fight is now that I've decided it's definitely a GTI I want it so badly it's hard to stay cool, calm and collected. Plus, salesmen know every trick in the book. I feel like a fish in shark infested waters. Interestingly, no one yet has suggested one of the internet buying sites. Are they really not very good? George

That's where getting quotes via e-mail comes in handy. You can be flippin' out wanting the car so bad in person and the salesperson can see and/or sense that (even over the phone). But behind the keyboard, the only thing that will come across is being calm, cool, and collected (unless you actually start typing exactly how you're feeling :wink: ).

You should be able to get a good price now on an '06 especially with the '07 in dealerships. I probably could have saved some more on my deal if I would have waited another week (but the car I wanted could have been sold so I just went for it). Plus 0% financing is fan-frickin-tastic :biggrin:

grdr

Go Kart Newbie
L-Dub,

You are so right about being calm behind the keyboard. But, I did a search of the VW dealers in and around Houston and unless in travel nearly 200 miles there is only one, believe it or not, with DSG 2006 available. All the others are 2007s. I did send an email looking for a quote from the dealer with the one I want this morning. It's 4:40 pm here now and nothing yet. It's driving me crazy but what's meant to be is ......

bcaciopp

A smile every mile.
If you got a trade in grdr, make sure you go to kbb.com and find out a reasonable value for your car. I think blackbook.com will do it also.

Go in, make your best deal, then offer the trade in. Also go in knowing how much you are willing to pay /month and how much you will accept for a trade in.

grdr

Go Kart Newbie
I have my first offer. PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU THINK IT'S GOOD.

TORNADO RED DSG PKG 1 $24,360 THEN I WOULD ADD TAX AND TAGS PLUS IT IS A 2006 SO I CAN GET 0% FOR 36 MONTHS.

Thanks!