GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How do you manage your track-day pads?

Dynjo

Ready to race!
Hi, guys. Newbie here. I just acquired an '07 GTI and will be attending a few HPDE days. I'm no expert, but I'm no stranger to road courses, either. I've driven race cars on the track with race brake pads and of course I've driven street cars on the street with street pads.

I've never driven a car on the street with race pads, nor have I driven on a track with street pads.

How do you hotshoes deal with this? Do you change pads at the track? The night before? At the beginning of the season? What?

Or maybe you just hold back a little at the track to acccomodate street pads.

Has anybody tried to get a handle on brake temperatures via Tempilac or other method?

Thanks!

Track_Guy

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi, guys. Newbie here. I just acquired an '07 GTI and will be attending a few HPDE days. I'm no expert, but I'm no stranger to road courses, either. I've driven race cars on the track with race brake pads and of course I've driven street cars on the street with street pads.

I've never driven a car on the street with race pads, nor have I driven on a track with street pads.

How do you hotshoes deal with this? Do you change pads at the track? The night before? At the beginning of the season? What?

Has anybody tried to get a handle on brake temperatures via Tempilac or other method?

Thanks!

If you're carrying any speed at all, you cannot go with street pads on the track. They just will not hold coming down from 110+ mph. Race pads are fine on the street if you can ignore the squeals. I change before I get to the track at home to race pads then I change them back to street pads after I get home -- and usually not until I can't stand the squeal for another day...

Changing at the track may be best but the day is usually just too busy to get all the work you need in.

johnny love

don't be an asshat.

i usually change pads at the track when i change to R-comps which is after working tech/registration and before it gets dark (our tech/reg is the night before the event). if i'm not working, they get changed at the track before tech/registration. once you do it a couple times, it doesn't add much time to the wheel-swap process. i've got it down to 30 mins to swap pads and all 4 wheels if i take my time. having a 7mm hex socket driver is a huge help for the caliper pin bolts.

:lol: actually, i ran the stock pads for my first event in the car since i knew i wouldn't be anywhere near the limit. they're not bad, but i sure wouldn't run them after 2 years of tracking it.

i can't recall reading or hearing about anyone doing that. i guess because it's not a huge issue. they do get hot. hot enough to turn the red caliper paint black and melt ABS sensors and wiring if you remove the dust shields and don't use thermal wrapping. but i don't get any fade although i've overheated old, high-temp fluid before (VIR Turn 1 and Oak Tree :eyebulge:).

DanGSR's 2-rotor method is ballar and "preferred" but overkill IMHO.

also, i recommend replacing the brake fluid with high-temp like Motul RBF600.

good luck!

Meat

rack rack 'em
Car(s)
2007 GTI [DSG]
I'm in the same boat as most of these guys. I have a second set of rotors and pads (actually two now, thanks to DanGSR) that I swap to before I leave for an event and swap out afterwards. I usually don't have time to swap them out at the track because I usually get there as it's beginning to get dark so I just drive on my race pads on the way there and the way back. The noise isn't terrible and I don't mind it.

StreetSpeed2000

Passed Driver's Ed
I put my track pads on and drive to the track. I don't like messing with my car at the track, with limited tools, less than ideal work space, etc etc. I used Carbotech Xp8s (switching to 10s) and they're really not bad on the street at all. I wouldn't USE them on the street, but I feel plenty safe driving to the track with them on. My 2 cents.

matt'sdrag95

Corner-Carver
I've been running Hawk Blacks and Blues for years. I'll often leave them on and just carry a spare set of rotors and pads. I typically only drive my track vehicle to track events and car shows, but if it was a daily driven vehicle make sure you do not leave them on long as race pads will wear rotors very quickly when not up to temp.

As far as changing things at the track, limited tools/space etc... things happen, and unless you have the ability to roll a broken car onto a trailer plan on bringing tools and spares. You don't need every tool in your toolbox, but you should certainly bring enough to take care of the little things.
It'd be an absolute shame to have to pack it in for a day, or call a flatbed because you didn't come prepared enough to change a set of pads/rotors, or a flat tire.
-Matt

VMRSport

Ready to race!
Depending on the track pad being used, I would be afraid to run something like that on the street. There are many variables that come into play, when you try mixing things up like that (track pads on the street). One of the major things that stick out im my mind, is that the pads might not be able to maintain its recommended operating temps.

It might not matter to you, but I would also assume that the brake dust is going to not mix with your wheel's finish all too well.

78 Rocco

Road Racer
Car(s)
R32
Thanks much for the replies. Carbotech, huh? No Hawk fans?

Hawk fan here... Ran Blues on my R and loved them... Running HP+ now on the Rocco, just because at 1800 lbs I can... :thumbsup:

So Blues or DTC's get my vote.... but either way Carbo or Hawk you can't go wrong, just one of those personal preference things...

Best bet is definitely get a dedicated track pad and swap in right before or at the track.... and of course switch to Motul fluid... :w00t:

Dynjo

Ready to race!
just because at 1800 lbs I can... :thumbsup:
1800 lbs?! I'm pretty sure there's more than that on the front axle of my GTI!

Rocco, do you have any comments relating to the swapping of rotors along with the swap to race pads?

Meat

rack rack 'em
Car(s)
2007 GTI [DSG]
If you are running an aggressive track pad you are going to want to run them on a dedicated set of rotors. Reason being that the more aggressive pads work best when they are bedded properly. Bedding two different sets of pads on the same rotor will not let the more aggressive pads work to their full potential.