GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

putting a password on my network

bennylenny88

bora bora dude
Car(s)
Golf mk5 GTTDI 2.0
how do i do it? i need it because we have just set up a wireless router and want to secure it.. im on xp and my computers hooked up with a ethernet cable and my sisters laptops using the wireless adaptor

rcnu71299

Ready to race!
every wireless router has their own "control panel" where you can go in and change all types of settings... the way you access this control panel is by typing in an IP address in your browser (you must have the router plugged into your pc)

the IP address is different depending on the brand of your router... you should look in the manual to see if the IP address is listed... you can check out this website as well
http://compnetworking.about.com/od/workingwithipaddresses/f/getrouteripaddr.htm

once you get into the control panel you'll be able to set your password

SoNgMaN

I Void Warranties
Car(s)
2010 4dr UG TDI HL
start > run > cmd > ipconfig

default gateway is the IP of your router. there is a password to get in if you set it up. if not check the manual/online.

then access the configuration pages and setup wireless encryption. either WEP or WPA (if it's newer) i recommend WPA as WEP has been hacked many moons ago

julito04

I plead the fif.
Car(s)
08 WRX Limited
lol I secured my network and forgot the password to be able to let other users on it. anyone know what i have to do for that? just reset everything or what?

sorry for the threadjack benny.

rcnu71299

Ready to race!
the password to get on the network isn't the same password that you use to access the settings of the router just fyi... but i don't know how to reset it

SoNgMaN

I Void Warranties
Car(s)
2010 4dr UG TDI HL
julito you can log in to the router from a wired connection and change it that way. or use a pin to reset to factory settings.

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
Car(s)
981 Cayman & GTI SE
defualt password for a linksys is "admin" no username

defualt gateway is ususally 192.168.1.1

untitled.jpg

untitled2.jpg

WEP (older less secure)

untitled3.jpg

[B(WPA)]NEW MORE SECURE, make sure her wireless card supports it[/B]

untitled4.jpg

hobouncer

rocking the hawk
just press the button behind the router it will blow it up and your set, and for password follow the instructions on the cd it came with for your router

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
Car(s)
981 Cayman & GTI SE
pressing the reset button does jack, you have to hold it down for about 30 seconds and sometimes a router has a special way in order to reset to defualt settings, look for the manual online for the router you have