GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tips for a FWD newb at the track?

pitbull592

Go Kart Champion
I'm getting ready to soon run my 06 gti at maple grove raceway. I have prior track experience with a pro street S10, but I know this FWD 6-speed will be alittle different. From those with more experience than me any tips to share?
I'm picking up some bfg dr's for the front, but
-what front tire pressure have you guys had success with?
-Are you warming up your tires?
-how many rpm's are you bringing it up before launch?

Any tips would be helpfull? Thanks in advance:thumbsup: All my mods are in my sig. I'm hoping with some work to get a high 13. In sept. I'll have the $ to go K04, and maybe get low 13/high 12? , and yes I did search.

UngerDikran

Do I Have A Hand?
Car(s)
GTI MKV 08
bro with those mods you should get high to mid 13's easy, from what ive read in some sections of the forums, some people have gotten high 13's with just a chip, with stock all season tires. don't really know if its true or not but the way things look, you should get 13's easy.

Last edited:

pitbull592

Go Kart Champion
I'm thinking 40 psi rear/28 psi front, launch @ 3k? Gonna try my bfg g-force's then bfg dr's

xyouthx

slow ass car
I cant say what the right psi is, because I didn't have a pressure gauge when I went to the wack quarter mile. But the last few runs I didn't warm my tires up and I had .2-.3 faster times every run after warming them.

pitbull592

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, I figured I will have to try, and find a formula that works for me. Thanks!

lancGTI

www.oli.org
Car(s)
2006 GTI
You'll get better times at Cecil than you will at Maple. If you would like to go down to Cecil sometime, send me a PM.

I'd say lower your front tires inbetween 20-25psi, and slip the clutch a bit to help the tires get traction.

Midnight00SE

Mr. Othy
If you're not running at least 13's at 103 with what you've got done, I'd be ashamed.

thez19

GITEE Up N Go!!
Car(s)
2018 GTI SE
Sry but is there a specific reason ud run ur front tires at that LOW of a psi? Ive never run ANY tires of mine on any car below 28-30. That just seems dangerous to me. I have all four of mine at 40
Also info on nearby tracks to harrisburg would be nice, im not looking to have an instructor or any of that shit, I just wanna take my car out n have a place I can really open her up without danger of cops n shit

g_berserk

Smartass in Training
Car(s)
SEAT Ibiza FR
Sry but is there a specific reason ud run ur front tires at that LOW of a psi? Ive never run ANY tires of mine on any car below 28-30. That just seems dangerous to me. I have all four of mine at 40
Also info on nearby tracks to harrisburg would be nice, im not looking to have an instructor or any of that shit, I just wanna take my car out n have a place I can really open her up without danger of cops n shit
It's donde to improve grip on the launch
how?
low pressue alows the tire to deform a bit more and have a larger contact are with the tarmac

and if you don't go much bellow that on the pressure, there's no danger :thumbup:

BTW: RWD cars do the same with rear tires.

pitbull592

Go Kart Champion
You'll get better times at Cecil than you will at Maple. If you would like to go down to Cecil sometime, send me a PM.

I'd say lower your front tires inbetween 20-25psi, and slip the clutch a bit to help the tires get traction.
pm sent