GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Did anyone else get this letter?

KaynE

FIA World Rally Car Champion
I just got a letter saying,

According to our records, your 2006 Volkswagen Golf GTI may be due for the following services: Next scheduled maintenance.

The car is only 3 months old and I barely put 1000 miles on it, so I'm curious what this "maintenance" is.

Anyone else get this letter?

Last edited:

bilbos

On the Kop
I got one aswell. I am curious as to how they arrive at the estimated date though.

I purchased my car in March and they estimate November for the first service, which is eight months. I could understand if they assumed 1000 miles a month, which brings it up to August, but 8 months equates to 625 miles a month.......strange.

naughtyGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
06 DSG
I got a post card telling me that I had an appointment. I laughed at how close the mileage was to what the post card said. I took a bit of offense to them telling me exactly what time I would be bringing in the car in for a service. I blew off the appt and called a few days later to make one when I wanted to go in. 65 bucks for the 5k service...not bad huh?

trick000

naughtyGTI said:
I got a post card telling me that I had an appointment. I laughed at how close the mileage was to what the post card said. I took a bit of offense to them telling me exactly what time I would be bringing in the car in for a service. I blew off the appt and called a few days later to make one when I wanted to go in. 65 bucks for the 5k service...not bad huh?

Are you sure they put synthetic?

naughtyGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
06 DSG
They told me they did...the invoice showed about 15 bucks in oil.....just kiddn....15 bucks in labor. They claim to use syn in all new dubs.

magilson

Passed Driver's Ed
yeah, they estimate the time to send that letter based on the conversation your dealer is supposed to have with you to estimate your yearly mileage. Mine was almost spot on actually, it kind of freaked me out to get the 10k service letter the exact week i needed it!

and yes, 65 smackers is what I would expect to pay for the 5k service and is only slightly more than what i paid. (if you buy the oil and filter beforehand it's usually cheaper than when you pay the dealer to take it off the shelf at the time of the service. the same part may cost you twice as much when you need it at the time of service than if you had gone in the day before and bought it from the parts dept... check your invoices, you'll see :) )

dpham00

Modérateur Emeritus
i got an e-mail from my dealer less than a week after i bought my car regarding an oil change.

KaynE

It says adding synthetic adds 20 bucks. Then there's also the oil filter for like 15. At the end, you only save a couple of quid.