GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Remove brake shields for HPDE?

yobtah

I'm planning to do a DE soon in my '07 GTI. I've replaced the brake fluid with ATE Super Blue and I'll use Carbotech XP8 pads in the front and Bobcats in the rear.

I'm hoping this setup will handle the heat and prevent fade, but I'm concerned about the brake dust/splash shields. I know cooling would be better if I remove them, but I don't like the idea of the pause before braking if the brakes get wet without the shields. My wife occasionally drives the car and I'd rather not try to explain this. I'd like the brakes to simply stop the car as she expects.

So... how much worse will the heat buildup be if I leave the shields on? Any experience with semi-aggressive track pads and the brake shields in place on a GTI?

Thanks for any help...

dtvburns

Tweek
I have XP10s in front and XP8s in the rear. I have NEVER gotten brake fade at a track event with the shields on. I have had a little fade at AutoX but I think that is because the speeds are slow and the car gets parked with out air flowing over the breaks for a cool down.

Leave them on if it is a street car especially if your wife drives it.

johnny love

don't be an asshat.
after 2 years of track events, my dust shields are still on. i've had brake fad (and a couple offs due to it) but after a brake fluid flush, things were back to normal. i'll probably ditch the shields when i replace rotors sometime this year.

dtvburns

Tweek
Has anyone else noticed the stock red calipers turning a very dark red after some HPDEs? Mine look like they are a little burnt. Tried cleaning them still a darker red than when new.

Johannes

Passed Driver's Ed
Has anyone else noticed the stock red calipers turning a very dark red after some HPDEs? Mine look like they are a little burnt. Tried cleaning them still a darker red than when new.

If I notice somebody's "blackish" (that did not start black) calipers, I know they mean business! :headbang:

Track_Guy

Passed Driver's Ed

Yep, after 2 HPDE's they've turned darker. Ehh...I'll just repaint them when I'm ready to sell it.

MKSCHNELL

Titanium Cranium
Car(s)
07 GLI
I would not remove the shields.
I removed mine on a hot day at VIR last year and the heat melted the ABS connectors and wires, so I had to put them back on.
My calipers turn black as well, but I just recoat them with the Duplicolor Red Brake Caliper Paint found at Advance Auto Parts.

dtvburns

Tweek
I removed mine on a hot day at VIR last year and the heat melted the ABS connectors and wires, so I had to put them back on.
My calipers turn black as well, but I just recoat them with the Duplicolor Red Brake Caliper Paint found at Advance Auto Parts.

:threadjacked: sorry about the color change question.

Melted the wires behind the front rotors?!? I never thought of that.

BMLracer

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08 GTI/4

Try this: http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=1838

Buy a 1 sq.ft. section, cut out pieces to fit, safety wire around ABS sensor. You should have enough material to do a couple cars worth, so you can share the cost with some buddies. We've used it on wheel speed sensors for the last 8-10 years without any issue. And I'll bet any money my Craftsman Truck generates much, much higher brake temps than our VW's.