GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OEM body kit or paint the black bits

GTT

Touring Car Champion
I really wish VW would have painted the black bits on the GTI.
I don't care for flat black on the bottom pieces.
Audi did that on the previous A4 and not many people liked it.
The new A4 looks MUCH nicer as it's painted all the way down.
The black bits give the car a "cheaper" look, to me anyway.

So, I'm considering the OEM body pieces, which VW claims come prepainted and
that makes it viable for the price.
But, has anyone had the black bits painted yet?
If so, how much did you pay?

I am definatley going to get either the optional painted pieces or take it to a body shop I know and have the pieces painted. I'm not sure though how much they will charge, and since I don't have a GTI yet it's hard to get an estimate. :smile:

Anyone?

TT

nomios

Touring Car Champion
Good luck getting the OEM kit... All the dealers I have spoke with do not have a clue when it will be available.

The dealer I purchased from promised to get me the kit at cost once they have them.

blackmkv

Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
VW GTI
are you seriuos??!?!? why the hell are they not in stock?!? the car looks like crap with out it.. wow.:cry: i guess ima go with an aftermarket kit. but then i have to go through the trouble of painting and it might not come out perfect:mad:

AlphAZender

Drag Race Newbie
Message to VW America...

Get with the program! Thats just a shame that the vwfeatures site is so good but what they are trying to sell is mia. That is just the embodiment of lameness.

blackmkv

Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
VW GTI
ok well do they atleast have the leather and 18" rims??!?

nomios

Touring Car Champion
Yes, they have both package 1 and 2, as well as the 18" Hufeweisen wheels. All the other styles they have on the site are not out yet.

Personaly I don't care for the Hufeweisen wheels much. I went with the stock 17's with the plan of putting on 18's that I like.

BigBadBri

Passed Driver's Ed
The only reason why I chose black as the main colour of my car was so it matched the bottom bits. I'm lucky in that my car is mostly funded by my company, the downside is that there not too happy about me moddin it, so no aftermarket body kits for me.

GTT

Touring Car Champion
GTI2007 said:
on a black GTI the bottom bits are not colour matched. They are black but not the same colour as the car colour

Yeah. They're closer but no match. The bottom bits are a dark gray shade and have a flat matte finish that doesn't match the black GTI's opacity and clear coat shine.

Seems that some people would have wanted VW to paint those pieces as well.
If the body kit isn't ready I think just paintin the OEM parts will give it a better finished look.

Are there mudflaps available for the GTI?
If so I'll get those painted as well.

TT

GTI2007

GTT said:
Yeah. They're closer but no match. The bottom bits are a dark gray shade and have a flat matte finish that doesn't match the black GTI's opacity and clear coat shine.

Seems that some people would have wanted VW to paint those pieces as well.
If the body kit isn't ready I think just paintin the OEM parts will give it a better finished look.

Are there mudflaps available for the GTI?
If so I'll get those painted as well.

TT

As far as I can see mudflaps ain't a factory option on any mk5 Golf. Why would you deminish such a great looking car with that sort of stupid ugly things??

GTT

Touring Car Champion
GTI2007 said:
As far as I can see mudflaps ain't a factory option on any mk5 Golf. Why would you deminish such a great looking car with that sort of stupid ugly things??

I don't find mud flaps to be "stupid ugly thing". :biggrin:
They are very functional as they keep the great looking car looking nicer for longer because they keep road crap off the car. They work especially well in snow, slush, and muddy areas as they keep that crud on the flap and off the body work.
So, they are very functional when one lives in an area where they are useful.

As far as how they look, if they are properly molded to conform to the parts the mate with, they look just fine.
The GTI does look good, but the unpainted lower bits look dowdy in my opinion. So, painting those bits and adding painted mudflaps will make the great looking GTI even better looking and provide much needed protection from road crud.

TT

peruski

Passed Driver's Ed
wait for the body kit.

My good friend works at VWOA in auburn hills...Last November I got to take a ride in a GLI with DSG. the car also had the bodykit installed it looks terrific and fits perfectly.

IIRC the black pieces at the bottom of the car are textured right? Sanding them smooth would be a big challenge....would probably cost more in labor that it would to buy the factory pieces prepainted...

just my $0.02

Nurendra

Autocross Champion
Paid a bit more than $400 to get them done on the GLI.
He said the sanding was a PITA.
They were painted and clearcoated.
Local 'texer here in CT did 'em on the side.
Ignore the shadows, the paint's a perfect match