GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

General usage and tips for new GTI

gjbello

Ready to race!
hi guys,

my gti is getting delivered in a month's time (it was an october delivery but is now coming in early august!)...

as i've never driven a previous mk of a gti, and as i only test drove the mkv gti for 20 mins (and of course fell in love with it), just wondering if anyone has any general driving tips, how S, M and D mode work, launch control, the panel gears, tiptronic, etc., etc.?

thanks guys :thumbsup:

tydale3

Rally Car Champion
Push all the buttons and bells and drive it like you stole it!!!!!Leave your girlfriend at home, hard to hear the sound of the engine with all that yacking!!!

SSS_Hoon

Touring Car Champion
Car(s)
Nissan Pulsar SSS
i cannot do all that and leave the girlfriend at home as its her GTI :(

but yeah it aint a tiptronic its a DSG much better :lol:

SSS_Hoon

SSS_Hoon said:
i cannot do all that and leave the girlfriend at home as its her GTI :(

but yeah it aint a tiptronic its a DSG much better :lol:

SSS_Hoon

Direct her to the related Fast ad in the video section. You will still be a dead man, but at least she may see reason in it sometime in the future.

SSS_Hoon

Touring Car Champion
Car(s)
Nissan Pulsar SSS
yeah i have showed her she laughed and went not bloody likely.

SSS_Hoon

L

lasledz

Does anyone know what the running in period is for the engine? My old housemate got a new Subaru and they told him not to keep constant engine revs (ie don't use cruise control) and not to rev the engine really hard in the first X amount of kms.

GXX

Autocross Newbie
According to the manual, it's the first 600 miles? I'll look it up later in my 07 book.

Turtle

Drag Racing Champion
The advice I was given from VW service on delivery was drive it like you normally drive...the engine does a run in at the factory and really the need to run in is more about bedding brake pads and tires gaining full grip. Said giving a wide variation is the key in the early days.

GXX

Autocross Newbie
Yup, I just give the car different variations of speed. Just don't redline it at every stoplight.

GXX

Autocross Newbie
?

It cycles through the screens on the MFD. Why, are you afraid to press it? :bellyroll:

gjbello

Ready to race!
haha, ive pressed it a million times. it seems it does nothing. the up and down arrows to the right of the ok button cycles through the screens. must be like the telephone button..?

Kirium

Go Kart Champion
It doesn't do anything unless you've got the MFA+ (the "highline" display).

It amazes me how many people aren't told things like this by their dealer...