GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

06 GTI - Some Nuts & Bolts Info

Tornado06

Go Kart Newbie
Let me start this thread by saying this: Please read it with an open mind and try not to let emotions cause you any over reaction! LoL. I think we need to NOT take the forum too seriously, yet take it seriously. :wink:

What prompted me to place this new thread online, is what I've read here on existing threads. Namely, the "ask a VW salesman" one. Seems many of us question the pricing of the new GTI and even its future reliability.

I have a couple thoughts. First off: The 2006 is going to be one of the best built of this new MKV series. Mark my words. Y? It's simple to logic out.. VW was failing miserably at bringing the same (early) 1980's excitement to the GTI - for many years now. They had to redesign it, yes, but also bring it BACK in a HUGE way. They did this! The '06 model is extremely well put together and are VERY HIGHLY APPOINTED. Especially so, in areas of standard equipment and most notably, the interior! If you order the Package 2, look out. The interior is SICK. More details then can be covered in any single forum post. And, REAL leather in places many expensive cars don't use real leather. REAL metal(s) too. This level of quality is not going to be seen in ANY Si or WRX - period. If it were to be included, the Si/WRX would cost the SAME or MORE then a GTI. You never see this detail on any sub $28,000 American car. Hell, I bought my package 2 GTI for like 25,500. Think about this stuff for a moment. OK..

Thought 2: Further, I work on cars for a living and know how they are built. I know this at a level, not known by people who simply drive their cars daily. Point is, it's INSANE how VW can even sell the GTI as cheap as they do for 2006. (the opposite of what many feel here on this forum) IMHO - There is very little profit in the NEW GTI. I feel it's being built, as it is, for more reasons then ppl realize. It's sort of a BANNER car. It's their clever, little pocket rocket. A well built, highly appointed, yet practical car. One that has new technologies to showcase, including the DSG box and FSI. Although they have been out for years on Audi vehicles, they are not going to be shown to the general public that way. VW is a more affordable, mass sold vehicle. Back to PROFIT MARGIN - This is why they will inevitably cut back on standard features and possibly move assembly outside Wolfsburg, Germany - in the future.

Thought 3: VW are not bad quality autos. However, like any car on the planet, they have their own inherent problems. Some are model/year specific. Some across the board for years and years. I've been repairing German cars since the late 1980's. I find the SINGLE biggest VW issue across the board, is/are oil leaks. I've owned Chevy Camaros, purchased new, and kept for 10-15 years or more. Hell yea, things break.. But - I almost NEVER had a drop of oil anywhere on the engine. You almost never see any internal engine issues either, if unmodified. This is just GM. They quite honestly build the best small block V8 on the Earth and always have. Alternately, VW builds (in my opinion) some of the best 4 CYLs anywhere on the planet. BUT, many of them leak oil like mad. Do VW 4s break internally or blow up? NOT really. Just be prepared to look over your engine at every oil change and immediately fix oil leaks, as they occur. If you wait too long, they can become extremely difficult to pinpoint with 100% precision, as you develop multiple leaks. Now don't flame me here. This is just ONE single example.

All cars break in some area. All cars have issues. However, to say VW is more unreliable than average is rubbish. Look around on the highway and tell me you've noticed a lot of VW's on the shoulder lately, with the hazards on? It's not happenin' like that ppl. Let's not put down a really awesome auto. It's price point is justifiable. Just consider VDub's gazillion $ plant with state of art laser welding, etc. Consider they want you to walk away not only alive, but in good shape in the event of a major collision., Their safety protocols are unsurpassed in a sub 30K car. You don't like the high ride height/lame springs used in the USA? Don't fault VW. Blame our SUV/Truck saturated US market place. VW is not going to do well here in crash testing with low springs. SRS and other items do not test well when 50% of American vehicles can literally DRIVE OVER top of you - if your car is too low to ground. I hate the overuse of truck type vehicles in this country. It's a disgrace actually. Soccer moms suck. LoL. Lastly, realize, the GTI is still based on the Golf. The Golf is one of the best selling/sold cars on Earth. And for almost too many years to count. I may live in the USA, but I def think Globally since cars are my living/livelihood. To set the record straight, if I'm wrong on my initial impressions and we later find the new GTI is a flaming hunk of sh*t, I'll be the first to apologize and admit it. It is what it is! If you lasted this long, thanks for reading! :wink:

Last edited:

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
ill x3 it...very well put

and i paid the same for my pkg.2 w/DSG...lol

ewoo

Rally Car Newbie
You forgot to mention that the Golf 5 platform & GTI been out in the rest of the world since 2004 and it's won numerous Car of the Year awards.

Not only that but, the 2.0 FSI Turbo engine has won International Engine of the Year award two years in a row, finally over-throwing Honda's incredible 2.0 liter 240hp NA engine (used in their S2000) in the 2.0 and below engine category.

In addition, most auto-journalists would agree that the DSG transmission is the future. The fact that you can buy it on a GTI for only $1,078 & change is INCREDIBLE. Not even Ferarri's auto-gearbox is as efficient or intelligent as VW's DSG (which by the way, was developed and licensed to VW by an American company BorgWarner but are built and assembled in Japan for VW & Audi).

Tornado06

Go Kart Newbie
Hey Guys,

Glad to see some positive replies here. I truly believe this is a very well built vehicle. But as always, time will tell us for sure about reliability.

Yup it's true that BorgWarner is behind the DSG. From what I've read in past few years, they pretty much designed it. They're indeed an American Co. and are/have been one of the largest builders/designers of OEM and aftermarket transmissions and parts for the longest time. So, us USA peeps can be proud there. :wink:

Other DSG Tech: Additionally, I read that VW was basically a huge development partner in the DCT. (BorgWarner called it DCT originally. DCT = dual-clutch transmission) Further, it's to my knowledge that BorgWarner can and will be able to build or contract others to build - various versions of DCT and sell it to any automaker they partner with or supply to. Production is also planned to be all over the world. Even German transmission producer Getrag is on the roster already with some development programs for DCT. In my opinion we'll see a lot of these boxes in the future - in many types of cars/trucks. Simply because it's a GREAT design and MORE efficient then a standard auto, which loses efficiency thru fluid coupling and has inevitable slippage. Meaning, technically, a true fluid coupling Auto trans is never 100% efficient. Even if slippage is only 2-3%, it's there. A DCT/DSG style is 100% efficient. An actual DIRECT link, from crank to driveline like a typical full manual.

Last edited:

VdaWg

FIA World Rally Car Champion
I concur:laugh: . I may have had little cosmetic issues in the beginning due to what I believe came from the dealer and trouble from service/sales dept over certain things:mad: other than that the car has been mechanically and electronically sound so far. Some quirks here and there but I can always have it checked. :thumbup:

ewoo

Rally Car Newbie
Tornado06 said:
... Meaning, technically, a true fluid coupling Auto trans is never 100% efficient. Even if slippage is only 2-3%, it's there. A DCT/DSG style is 100% efficient. An actual DIRECT link, from crank to driveline like a typical full manual.

You mean, the DCT is 100%--as efficient as--a standard manual transmission. (In terms of loss-of-power.) :wink:

VdaWg

Well think about it, you are always stepping on the gas with the dsg when shifting, so you're always giving it power correct? So the loss of power would come from where, if you shift and let go of the gas while shifting with the dsg. Correct me if I'm off mark.

Tornado06

Go Kart Newbie
ewoo said:
You mean, the DCT is 100%--as efficient as--a standard manual transmission. (In terms of loss-of-power.) :wink:

What I mean is, technically speaking, DSG is DIRECT DRIVE. When driving down the road in ANY gear, you have 100% lock up. NO slippage. Conventional auto transmissions always sacrifice/slip away some engine power due to fluid coupling. The cure for this, in past 20 years of automotive history, is a LOCK UP torque converter. However, even with a lock up system, there is supposedly about 1-2% slippage. DSG utilizes a true clutch, so technically speaking, if the system is healthy you have direct drive in all forward gears. :wink:

Tornado06

Go Kart Newbie
VdaWg said:
I concur:laugh: . I may have had little cosmetic issues in the beginning due to what I believe came from the dealer and trouble from service/sales dept over certain things:mad: other than that the car has been mechanically and electronically sound so far. Some quirks here and there but I can always have it checked. :thumbup:

Speaking of cosmetics.. German cars in general, are way over the bar in this area. I must say the FIT/FINISH/PAINT QUALITY on my $25,000 GTI is WAY better than any American car I've purchased new, including a 1999 Corvette Hardtop. That one, BTW, cost me $42,000 + back in 99.

VdaWg

Can't complain with that. Glad you cleared that up. Makes more sense coming from a pro about the DCT.:smile: