GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Should I believe this?

TheGuinnessTooth

Ready to race!
I went down to the local VW dealership yesterday to talking about buying a GTI, as opposed to a Rabbit, and I think I'm dealing with the greatest salesman ever. The guy sold my dad a GTI back in '84, and another one in '88, and now that it looks like I'm going to buy a GTI from him he claims he can give me a great deal. He said he could do UG with DSG and possibly some different wheels, all for $500 over invoice. From what I've read from alot of posts on here, I have a hard time believing his dealership would allow him to sell the car for so cheap. Should I get my hopes up about this deal, or is it too good to believe?

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
TheGuinnessTooth said:
I went down to the local VW dealership yesterday to talking about buying a GTI, as opposed to a Rabbit, and I think I'm dealing with the greatest salesman ever. The guy sold my dad a GTI back in '84, and another one in '88, and now that it looks like I'm going to buy a GTI from him he claims he can give me a great deal. He said he could do UG with DSG and possibly some different wheels, all for $500 over invoice. From what I've read from alot of posts on here, I have a hard time believing his dealership would allow him to sell the car for so cheap. Should I get my hopes up about this deal, or is it too good to believe?

sounds like a good deal

dont really know why people think dealers cant sell cars at,below or alittle over invoice...they do and will alot of times just to get a sale...its all about making the numbers at the end of the month

i got my BMP GTI for invoice...but then again it was a little different situation

but if u can get it in writing that he is giving u the car the way u want it for 500 over invoice....then go with it

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
Car(s)
UG GTI 2006
Yeah I got way under invoice without doing any kind of negotiating. Probably had something to do with the fact that it was the 3rd car I had bought from him as well. It IS possible to get a good deal on these cars.

Tornado06

Go Kart Newbie
TheGuinnessTooth said:

Hey Dude,

It's perfectly legit.. I purchased my TR '06 for about 700 over invoice. And that was my first time using this dealer. :wink:

Good Luck

TheGuinnessTooth

Ready to race!
I didn't have any doubts about him willing to give me that deal, it was the dealer that worried me. The thing that threw me off was I was seeing plenty of people on hear complaining about dealers not even selling for MSRP, but selling about it. I'm going to go down there this week and see about setting up terms, prices, and what have you.

agpatel

Touring Car Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI MkV
When a dealer says invoice its diffrent then what most people thing of invoice pricing...there meaning of invoice is price they would have to pay if they didnt get discounts (sell X many u get X amound off) when i was a intern for a Honda/Acura dealership here, he showed me the real invoice numbers on the computer and yeah they were sometimes $200-400 (sometimes even more) to what they claim is invoice...also yes the cars make them money but not nearly as much as service/parts departments do...that is were they are making there money, car selling is just major cash flow...profits in service....

Anglewood

Gear Head
Car(s)
'08 GTI BMP 6MT
I've had a couple of different dealers quote me at $500-$600 over invoice. The scarce deal is the one that goes much closer or below stated invoice. Tried for one at the end of last month, and the dealer wouldn't budge on their MSRP. I think I will try again near the end of this month at a different "volume" dealer.

Lates,

Connor

etexfast

Drag Race Newbie
It is all about where a store is at the end of the month regarding their sales goals. Remember, new car dealers are sales oriented. The question the sales managers ask at the end of the month is not "How much money did we make?" but "How many cars did we sell?"

Personally, I only shop during the last week of the month and shop several dealers.

Since there are not many VW dealers compared to other nameplates, I faxed almost 30 dealers with the specs of the car I was looking for. Picked my ride up for the invoice price. By contacting several stores you usually can smoke out the store that wants a sale bad enough they will almost give the car away.