GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Auto-Brakes when going downhill?

Ancient112

Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts
Hi everyone, I just got my GTI yesterday and notice how different it feels than any other cars i've driven. The acceleration is very impressive, I almost lost control when I was turning the corner when I first drove it home cuz I over pressed the pedal, didn't know it was so responsive.....

Anyways, I have noticed that when I go downhill in automatic D gear, the car slightly drags when I let it roll downhill without pressing the brakes or pedal. Is the auto braking a safety feature, or is it a malfunction? I'm quite concerned cuz dragging when going downhill seems rather gas inefficient when I want it to go faster. I noticed this actualy happens when I go uphill too.........

Ancient112

Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts
lol, i'm sure it's not the parking brakes.....
but I think I found out why it feels like it's dragging when going downhill....maybe it's just because the gear shifted to a lower one when the car slows down after I release the pedal and let it roll.

I guess this tranmission is new to me and it's nothing like the previous cars i've driven, so i'm not use to it. I think the convention automatic transmission doesn't shift down the gears when the car slows down, right?

Dude123

Oval Champion
Yes, I have the same problem. I think the cuase is te changing of gears also, so this might not even be a problem.

RedlineMotorworks

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2007 BMP GTI
i think it's just the tranny resisting

the car doesn't have enough momentum to overcome a certain number of revs so it just stays stuck at that RPM...it'll be lower for a lower gear...

if you're in 1st, you'll only go 20mph lets say, but if you're in 5th, u'll get to 80 and get stuck there..

:thumbsup:

GTT

Touring Car Champion
GTI2007 said:
in Belgium, where I live, you can have hill hold control as option on the GTI

That's hill ascent though, right, like when you drive a true manual and you have to balance brake with clutch and throttle so you don't roll backwards into the car behind you?. He was saying he felt it while descending.
Or, are you saying there is hill descent control as an option?
This is with DSG I'm assuming.

TT

GTI2007

the hill hold control of which I speak is an option for the Golf in Belgium and Germany. It's a driving aid that maintains brake pressure when the car stands on a slope. It's available for manual and for DSG

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
Ancient112 said:
Anyways, I have noticed that when I go downhill in automatic D gear, the car slightly drags when I let it roll downhill without pressing the brakes or pedal.

You mean just like a manual in a low gear? Yes, this is a manual, not an auto, so when in a low gear, the drivetrain will resist increase in coasting speed.

bennylenny88

bora bora dude
Car(s)
Golf mk5 GTTDI 2.0
fuck that! just slam the accelerator down and burn some rubber!!! lol!!