GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Passat Wagon 2.0T & Modded GTI 1.8T

Stasis

E-Thug
Car(s)
MKV GTI
My friend's dad just bought a 2.0T Passat Wagon with tiptronic (it's not the same as DSG is it?), so we decided to run them a little for fun. First, he's always been a BMW guy and his last car was a 330 coupe, he says this is more fun to drive. Second, he wasn't driving, my friend was, so she's not used to it much yet. She does however know how to drive, she's owned an SiR swapped 94 civic (that thing was fast) and a 2000 Celica GT-S. She was in front of me and decided to gun it up a highway ramp, I followed suit. While it was obvious that I would be pushing and having to let off the gas, I had to do so less than when I did the same scenario with my friends Cooper S. At least up until 65. Beyond 65 when I could switch lanes to pass, I passed faster and gained more ground quicker than against the Cooper, but initially it seemed to take off faster. Weird.

I ran into a guy with a modded MK4 1.8T, he was chipped (Neuspeed) and had an intake, no exhaust. We were headed in a similar direction, so he asked if I minded fooling around so he could see what my car could do. Initially he requested hopping in and having me take him on a loop around the local highway, but being short on time, this is what he got. From a light I blew by and gained and gained, very quickly. He had warned me that his clutch wasn't in top shape and said the best way to measure would be on the highway. Once we were there, we took off at about 60 and went to 100 or so. Initially he held on, but on shifts I gained and just kept gaining, let off when I had about a length and a half on him. Who knows what his situation was, but I know I could have done better... I went at 4k rpm instead of at 5k + so I could have gained some better acceleration there. He pulled up beside me and flashed a thumbs up before taking his exit.

The point of this post is to indicate that the 2.0T does well in even a heavy car such as the wagon, and that a chipped 2.0T will absolutely crush a modded 1.8T, as I was winning in bone stock form.

S