GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Retrofitting Seat Warmers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ewoo

Rally Car Newbie
I noticed that the base Rabbits come with heated seats. If someone out there could pioneer a way to retro-fit the appropriate parts into a base US-Spec GTI, I would be greatful---and follow in his/her footsteps.

:thumbsup:

agpatel

Touring Car Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI MkV
dont we already have them, atleast people w/ leather do...didnt know rabbits had cloth warmers....:iono:

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I plan on putting seat heaters in my cloth seats.....just been too hot out to do it.

Scotaku

FIA World Rally Car Champion
agpatel said:
dont we already have them, atleast people w/ leather do...didnt know rabbits had cloth warmers....:iono:

The leather option in the GTI is a PKG 1 or 2 element and automatically "upgrades" to the Climatronic HVAC controls. Choose leather and you get seat heater rheos next to your temp displays. Those of us with the Climatic HVAC controls get two blank covers where the "lesser" Rabbit gets rheostats for seat heaters. Some of us didn't want PKG 1 or 2 nor Climatronic nor leather... so we got the set-it-yourself HVAC controls and no seat heater rheos.

I can say this; I've noticed the HVAC and seat heater controls appear to be molded together or at least have different carrier plates behind the trim. I've seen this reading some stereo/carPC installs. I think the Rabbit's HVAC controls may be one of the key parts to swap into the GTI to get the rheostats that set the temp. Here's hoping the wiring is already there behind the dash and under the seats!

Here's the Climatronic-type controls:

Here are the Rabbit's Climatic (no AC!) controls with the rheos;

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
No AC switch....I would assume that if you turn the temp nob to cool past the little temp icon the AC comes on. Some older cars had this......HATED IT!!

ewoo

Rally Car Newbie
Here's one from US bound Rabbit. Looks very similar to our controls except the empty covers (for the seat warmer controls) are filled. Looking at the service manuals, looks like all the wiring will be there. The question is whether the heating pad on the seat is stitched into the seat's cover-fabric or whether is lies underneath the foam cushion.

Getting closer...

Attachments

• rabbit_radio.jpg
    rabbit_radio.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 2,897

baat06

Drag Racing Champion
ewoo said:
Looking at the service manuals, looks like all the wiring will be there. The question is whether the heating pad on the seat is stitched into the seat's cover-fabric or whether is lies underneath the foam cushion.

Getting closer...

That's the big question.... any idea on how to find out? I'm into the retrofit if possible.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I doubt that the element is stitched into the seat. It is always a pad that goes under the cloth of the seat.

Scotaku

I agree. It's almost certainly a separate part so that it can be replaced if/when it burns out. What I'm missing is a working ETKA/ELSA for the MkV... the bootleg crap I snagged off eBay is so kludgy I gave up trying to install it.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I am seeing issues maybe with putting elements in the seat aftermarket wise because of the indentations in the seat. Looks like they go way into the foam.

Scotaku

'Hafta find the part numbers and compare. In my experience, the heater elements have either layed in place just under the cover, or used velcro. If the elements are formed into the foam, then I'd bet the foam is a separate part number and the heated ones will have an alternative part number. Same idea if they're part of the seat cover though that may mean no Interlagos version. :(

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I already have heat elements and everything from an aftermarket company that makes them for auto manufacturers. I just need the weather to not be so damn hot out right now before I work on my car again. When I do it I will let you guys know.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Totaly forgot about this. I have been getting ready for a car show this weekend and a trip to Chicago to race in the Battle of the Imports next weekend. I will probably get started on this shortly after since it will start getting colder out. I don't want to put this off and then have it be middle of winter out.

Status
Not open for further replies.