GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Xenon Fog Lamps?

agpatel

Touring Car Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI MkV
That is jut 100% wrong, yellow has no advantage, everyone things it does but it does not just bc a auto manuf. said ti did but sciance sid it does not

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/phy99/phy99xx4.htm

to get yellow light you have to use a filter which dec. light output..

"
Fog droplets are, on
average, smaller than cloud droplets, but they still are huge compared with
the wavelengths of visible light. Thus scattering of such light by fog is
essentially wavelength independent. Unfortunately, many people learn
(without caveats) Rayleigh's scattering law and then assume that it applies
to everything. They did not learn that this law is limited to scatterers
small compared with the wavelength and at wavelengths far from strong
absorption.

The second flaw is that in order to get yellow light in the first place you
need a filter. Note that yellow fog lights were in use when the only
available headlights were incandescent lamps. If you place a filter over a
white headlight, you get less transmitted light, and there goes your"

so thats wrong, it will not be all cray glare....
increased penetration down the drain.

RJS5689

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
2006 MKV GTI
Um, english please? But ok, that does make some good points. My friends lexus has yellow fogs and they work pretty damn well. So this is interesting.... i always thought that xenon fogs would reflect alot though.

Kirium

Go Kart Champion
I've found the xenons work better in fog than the fog lights do.

The xenons seem to penetrate the fog further. the glare is a bit more, but with the fog lights, they just don't seem powerful enough to penetrate the fog as well as the xenons.

agpatel

Touring Car Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI MkV
lexus uses yellow, i mean it does not cut down that much when useing yellow, mostly for looks, but i would use HID, and i am looking into HID fogs, that are 5000k-ish, so DTM if u got a deal on some HID's i would be in for a gb :thumbup:

tmrakip

Dog is my co-pilot
I've considered the Hella Micro DE Xenon fogs, I think we have the standard DE for fogs right now

Parrothead

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
yeah HID fogs would look nice! especially if you could run just parking lights and fogs w/o headlights being on... (dusk/dawn etc etc)

KaynE

FIA World Rally Car Champion
I actually hate the Lexus yellow because they are TOO yellow. It's distracting to see someone with strong HID's and yellow fogs. Same color is more appealing to me.

RJS5689

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
2006 MKV GTI
KaynE said:
I actually hate the Lexus yellow because they are TOO yellow. It's distracting to see someone with strong HID's and yellow fogs. Same color is more appealing to me.
This is how i reconize my friend when she is driving down the road. Lexus yellow is friggen YELLOW, and they are bright!

thomaschh

Banned
I just ordered the Lamin-X kit with yellow film for the fogs - I'll let you all know what I think after I get them on. We get a lot of opportunity to test this out up here (Seattle). ; )

+tom

Dtm Kingson

Passed Driver's Ed
We could actually get HID that has the fitment that will fit the fog lamps, its from 3000K to 15000K. I actually like the Yellow fog lamp looks, i guess it's personal choices. I guess the if the fogs match w/ the headlamp color it'll look pretty sweet right?

Pablo@lujanmotorsports

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm running Yellow HID's in the fogs.. They are Plug and play.. only problem you'll need a Relay to run them.. if not once the car is on they will not work.. Also since you are running a relay, you'll get a warning light for burnt bulbs.. which could be turned off with the Vag-com.

here are some pics..

Fogs alone.

both low beam and fogs..

Pablo