GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hello fellow GTi lovers, and varying dealer deliveries

ertay

Passed Driver's Ed
Want to say hello to all you guys and i absolutely cannot wait to get my GTi.
I'm looking to get a white with manual and tossing up wether i want a sunroof. I got it quoted from two different dealerships with one of them being a few hundred cheaper. I assume it's the dealer delivery. Have any of you guys/or girls found this when you got yours?

Kirium

Go Kart Champion
Welcome to the forum.

Not sure where you're from (perhaps put your city in the location field in your user prefs too), but you'll find that dealer delivery can vary by hundreds, possible thousands in some cases. I know a dealer in Melbourne wouldn't allow test drives and demanded $3000 DD fee. The dealer in Canberra wanted $2600 DD and the place I got my CW from in Sydney was only (in comparison) $1700. So yes, DD will vary dramatically.

People are starting to notice quite a few GTI's sitting on the lots around Sydney now. I've noticed 4 GTI's on the lot at Lennock VW here in Canberra. 2 at the most could be test cars (1 manual and 1 DSG) but the other 2 don't have sold signs on them. I noticed an add in carsguide on the weekend say "New Golf GTI for immediate delivery", so I think demand is slowing down on the GTI (finally). It might pay to start working on a discount. If they say "are you kidding, there's an X months wait on them", I'd say "there's plenty sitting on the lot at other dealers so I'll go check them out" and see what they do. My guess is that they'll be prepared to negotiate.

Good luck with finding a good price. It should be much easier now than it was 4-5 months ago.

srbsta

Banned
Car(s)
2006 Volkswagen GTI
when you place an order expect to get it within 2 months max......goood luck on finding a good price

ozabyss

Go Kart Newbie
srbsta said:
when you place an order expect to get it within 2 months max......goood luck on finding a good price

I hope not, I ordered mine last month, but dont want until end of year, I have a lease until then....lol

Also I agree with Kirium, negotiate and be prepared to walk away from a deal you are not happy with......

ertay

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks guys, I'm from sydney and the dealership in five dock told me that it's like an 8 month wait. That does excessive but i didn't mind the wait on it that much, gives me time to make more money, but now that i've been reading that the 06 model isn't as good as 05. I hope the 07 model isn't worse off aswell. And Kirium, how do you like the sunroof?

srbsta

Banned
Car(s)
2006 Volkswagen GTI
hey ertay all i can say is if you have a car that you need to sell in order to get the gti do it like ASAP when you place an order because i 2 was told by the dealer it would be an 8 month wait and it wasnt it was only 3 month and now my gti as at the drealer waitin for me and i am here stuck selling my X-TRAIL in order to pick up the car.......so i am now going crazy because the car is ready and i am not:frown:

Might be worth calling around some of the dealers and finding out what GTI's they currently have available for sale. For example, I know for a fact that there is a white one here in Toowoomba atm (there is also 2 black ones and a blue one on the lot all available for sale). Even though it might take some time, you might find one with the exact options that you are chasing.

Kirium

Go Kart Champion
ertay said:
Thanks guys, I'm from sydney and the dealership in five dock told me that it's like an 8 month wait. That does excessive but i didn't mind the wait on it that much, gives me time to make more money, but now that i've been reading that the 06 model isn't as good as 05. I hope the 07 model isn't worse off aswell. And Kirium, how do you like the sunroof?

The waiting time isn't 8 months any more. I'm sure it's below 6 months even. Closer to 4.

The 05 has a few differences over the 06. Different steering wheel, some different interior chrome trim and different radio antenna are the major. I've heard some things will change again for MY07, including the blue tint being replaced by green. They've gradually reduced features from year to year because the MkV Golf is expensive to make.

I've heard there's quite a few GTI's sitting on dealer yards. Ring around and see what's out there.

The sunroof is alright. It thumps a fair bit. Much more than my old MkIV GTI sunroof, which didn't thump at all. The wind deflector design is different between the two. Don't know why they changed it. I don't think it's worth $1900. The xenons are worth every cent tho.

fastgolfer

Ready to race!
Kirium is right, the tint will be changing.

The other major change is safety believe it or not - Active Head Restraints will be deleted.

Further to this - does anyone know if the Multi-Function definitely changed between 05 and 06 on the non sat-nav models?

Kirium

Go Kart Champion
Yes it did. The ability to change convenience settings (welcome home light timings, 3-blink lane change etc) was removed for 06 and the steering wheel was also changed.

ertay

Passed Driver's Ed
Does anyone have any pics of the two steering wheels? How different are they? Which ones better? I'm worried now that if i wait too muh longer i'm going to get an inferior model for the same price