GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best helmet for the money?

Maximum6

FASTER
I dont' know if this belongs in this section.

I've been trying to find the best helmet for the money and needs to be track approved...but I don't remember what the requirements were.

I feel Arai is the best, but wayyy too expensive.

Can anyone suggest?

Dan GSR

Autocross Champion
the newest rating is "SA 2005"
dont buy anything that isn't rated at that

helmets are all about fit
find a local retailer that carries different brands and models
the place i went, i tried on the $700 italian helmet just for kicks, it is made really well, but the shape is all wrong for my head, and fit like crap

even keep it on for a couple minutes, sometimes wearing it for 5 seconds is not enough to determine fit

I personally own a Gforce Pro Force 1, its a great value at $250

Maximum6

FASTER
I tried some helmets at a local MOTORBIKE shop.
They were Arai and HJC.

I couldn't determine a fit as the medium size felt like my cheeks were getting pretty smushed and I would IMAGINE that i would get a headache in 30minutes. Then the Large wasn't shaky around my head...but it wasn't "tight" either.

I haven't tried any car racing helmets yet...there are very few dealers who carry them...mostly motorbike helmets.

Meat

rack rack 'em
Car(s)
2007 GTI [DSG]
Chances are, if you tried them on at a motorcycle shop, they won't be properly rated. There are two types of ratings Snell-M and Snell-SA. Snell-M helmets are rated for motorcycles only and a lot of tracks and organizations prefer the SA rating and some may actually require it. The best thing to do would be what Dan suggested, find a race shop and try on some real helmets.

Actually, the only thing that the motorcycle shop may help with if finding a size. But as you said, you seem to be in between sizes. Something that may help is to buy a balaclava, it could help make a larger helmet fit a tiny bit better. Or look for a helmet that comes in custom sizes (like fitted hats).

johnny love

don't be an asshat.
the newest rating is "SA 2005"
dont buy anything that isn't rated at that

helmets are all about fit
find a local retailer that carries different brands and models

:thumbup: try to find a local racing supplier, not a bike shop.

another thing to keep in mind is that many helmets are handmade and may fit differently. when i bought my Bell, i tried on 2 different mediums. the first was too tight, the 2nd was perfect.

as for value, ask yourself, "how valuable is my head?"

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
I like the Bell open face helmet best for Road racing and Autox.

EL PAALO

FWD FTL
How about dis?View attachment 22842

I would pay to see someone show up at an auto x or track day with one of these on.
Fly down to TX and I'll find one to wear if you'll pay for my tires. :)

If you just need a helmet for occasional track days, I don't see a good reason for an SA rated helmet unless it's required by the track or club you run with. The SA rating goes above and beyond Snell ratings in that it includes fire resistance and roll bar/cage impacts. If you don't have a cage and fire extinguisher then you don't need SA imo. Is it safer, yes, but it's also safer to just leave your car in the garage instead of tracking it.

Meat

rack rack 'em
Car(s)
2007 GTI [DSG]
lol

an SA helmet isn't going to protect you any better if you don't have a cage to hit your head and/or if you don't catch fire.
if it's required, it's required. still doesn't make it logical.

Well I'd rather have a helmet that I can use no matter what organization, car, or track I am driving with. I would hate to have spent $250 on an M rated helmet and then find out that in order to race at track X or with organization/club Y that I need an SA rated helmet and then have to drop an additonal $250+ for a properly rated helmet.

You should never skimp on safety.

EL PAALO

FWD FTL
Well I'd rather have a helmet that I can use no matter what organization, car, or track I am driving with. I would hate to have spent $250 on an M rated helmet and then find out that in order to race at track X or with organization/club Y that I need an SA rated helmet and then have to drop an additonal $250+ for a properly rated helmet.
I absolutely agree.

You should never skimp on safety.
I take it you have a cage and wear a full driving suit everytime?

STATUS

*STATUS*
Car(s)
e46 M3, R32,
also buy a good helmet you dont have to replace as often i think the avg is like 2 or 3 yrs to get a new helmet cuz the padding and what not gets old and corroded and wont work as well. thats what ive heard